playMaker

Author Topic: Cannot change state name  (Read 6885 times)

richardthegeek

• Playmaker Newbie
Cannot change state name
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
This is a pretty annoying bug I had on the mac version of unity 100% of the time.  I get it occasionally in windows, but not as often.  Should do something different than "hit enter" I think.

DARK_ETERNAL

Re: Cannot change state name
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:43 AM »
I've had this issue as well. It seems that you should only restart Unity to get it working. But indeed, it's annoying.
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

Horror

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
I've had this happen on PC and Mac, too. Can't work out what causes it.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Please submit bug reports using the playmaker bug report tool so we can get more info on your setups.

Are you saying that the state name refuses to change when you hit enter?
Or that the state name reverts if you forget to hit enter?

I have been unable to repro the first problem.
The second is the way it currently works. We're looking into improvements there...

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
The thing, Chouls, it that it's not replicable on demand, or at least, not for me. It just happens.

I'll try to pay attention to what I do to cause this, but, indeed, state name refuses to change after pressing Enter. In my case, I just restart Unity and have that work as intended. It's not that often, so I can say "heck, that "ยท$% doesn't work", but it's annoying when it happens. If I come with steps to replicate, be sure I'll be submitting a report.

Thanks for your support.
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
I get this bug extremely often.

The thing is that it doesn't really seem to happen in a new empty project. As my project grows, so does the frequency of the name-not-taking problem. It's reproducible about 60% of the time in my current project, but I don't really want to send you a 1.5GB bug report upload.

I've noticed it seems tied to what the last letter of the name is. When a name isn't taking, you can try renaming and pushing enter, but if the new name has the same last letter, it still won't take. If you change the last letter, it's much more likely to work.

Other than that, the only thing that works is leaving it for 5 minutes or so then coming back and trying again. Then it's likely to work. You can try hundreds of times in a short amount of time with no such success though. Just have to wait.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:51:51 PM by dasbin »

Nezabyte

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:23 AM »
We've have this happen a lot of times, though we don't know what exactly triggers it. Waiting seems to be the best solution as restarting Unity doesn't always work. For awhile I could always just copy-paste back the new name I entered and hit enter with no issues, but it seems with the latest updates that this isn't possible anymore to fix it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
Hi,

I get this often, my workaround is to hit "RETURN" properly after I have edited the state name. If I use tab or click away from it to a new field, it sometimes doesn't apply. When that doesn't work, I click in another field, then back edit and "RETURN". I never had to restart Unity tho, I always got state named properly edited this way.

bye,

Jean

turkeypotpie

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
I'm getting this bug too.  Quite annoying.  No idea what's causing it.

I've gotten it about five times (just purchased PlayMaker today).

Restarting Unity fixes it for a while.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »
I'd love to figure out what's causing this... :-\

Right now enter and tab are the only keys that will commit a name change. This UI code hasn't changed in ages, but maybe something changed under the hood in newer Unity versions. Are you seeing this more in 3.5 or 4.0?

In the next update you can just click away from the text field, which is more consistent with normal Unity behavior... hopefully that will fix this problem...

turkeypotpie

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:50 AM »
This seems to be related to the tab key.

If I always hit the enter key to accept textfields, the bug hasn't happened yet after several hours of usage.

But if I use the tab key to accept them, then the bug will happen happen randomly within 10 minutes or so ...

And once the bug happens once, Unity needs to be restarted, regardless of whether the enter or tab key is used.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:02:52 AM by turkeypotpie »

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
Not the case here. I never use the tab key, just Enter, and almost always get the bug.

Restarting Unity doesn't have any more effect than just waiting a few minutes. I can restart Unity, then maybe be able to rename the state I was having trouble with.... but then immediately the next state I make won't be able to name.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:54:10 PM by dasbin »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
Can you think of any common factors when this bug happens?

Is it always on prefabs? Or always on modified prefab instances?
On larger FSMs? Or any FSMs?

Are you trying to use a name that's already used? That should show an error box, but perhaps that's where the bug is...?

I wonder if you zipped your project if it would repro for me? Can you send me a project stuck in this state i.e., with a state that refuses to rename?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Also, are you seeing this on Mac or PC?

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »
Can you think of any common factors when this bug happens?

Unfortunately, no. It seems only to depend on the project, really. The bigger the project, the more often it seems to happen, though it occasionally would happen in an otherwise-empty project too.

Is it always on prefabs? Or always on modified prefab instances?
No. Prefabs, instances, not prefabs, everything.

On larger FSMs? Or any FSMs?
Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Are you trying to use a name that's already used? That should show an error box, but perhaps that's where the bug is...?
I'm not.
The thing is that all you have to do is wait a while, then the exact same name will be accepted eventually.

Can you send me a project stuck in this state i.e., with a state that refuses to rename?

It doesn't work like this. It happens totally randomly, and no particular state or FSM is more troublesome than any other. Restarting Unity tends to randomize which FSM's become affected by the bug for the next few minutes.

I'm on PC here. Currently on Win8 64-bit, had the same problem on Windows 7 64-bit as well.