playMaker

Author Topic: Sub-state machines  (Read 6736 times)

hannibalov

• Playmaker Newbie
Sub-state machines
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
Hi, first things first, I recently bought Playmaker and I am amazed by the work.

Now getting to the point, I read on the roadmap that hyerarchical FSM are planned. I assume this means sub-state machines like in mecanim? Is there a rough ETA on that? I am very very interested in that feature.

About that, will they be generic? Meaning, would sub-FSMs be swappable on runtime? (kind of like inheritance in programming). I'm guessing that would mean hard work, but hey, I'm already amazed, there's no reason not to be amazed twice ;)

Thank you!

kiriri

Re: Sub-state machines
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
swappable on runtime seems like a nice idea but it'd probably cause compiler errors... can't be sure though. If FSMs are nothing more than components, an ability to expose subfsm variables within playmaker as just like normal object variables would be awesome.
Anyways, + 1 to that :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:39:05 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
Sub FSMs are actually in beta now :)

The first pass uses a Run FSM action and some UI teaks to make it easy to jump into the sub FSM to edit or view it.

The sub FSM is an FSM Template so you can easily share FSMs across your project. The PlayMakerFSM inspector also lets you point to an FSM template now.

Right now you can't swap the sub FSM at runtime, but you can easily switch between different states that each have their own sub FSM. Initialization of swappable sub FSMs would be a little tricky, but something we'll look into for the future :)

hannibalov

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
wow, awesome! Is there any rough ETA?

Great work guys

tester

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
+1 support!!!!
What is the ETA

Dreatern

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
would be something like the building blocks in 3Dvia Studio / Virtools?
http://www.3dvia.com/studio/documentation/user-manual/programming/schematic/graph-elements/building-block

If yes, +1

Something like this

this is really interesting and useful
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:03:13 AM by Dreatern »

hannibalov

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival. If it's in beta it should get released soon, but soon can mean days, weeks or months.

It would be great for me to know the scale of the wait, because for my project I could choose from different options depending on it. But I see they keep quiet about it. No problem, it's a valid strategy, I'll choose a conservative option and move on as if they are not going to be available

tester

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »
I heard the next playmaker can print money, but there is no ETA yet.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:06:10 AM by tester »