playMaker

Author Topic: Make light BLINK ?  (Read 5840 times)

mickman

• Junior Playmaker
Make light BLINK ?
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
Hi,   I am trying to use the action   Effects > Blink   to turn an aircraft wing light on and off.

It works fine on a simple cube primitive.. but when I try with a light it won't work ?

I tried creating an empty GAme object and parenting my light to it since BLINK only works on game objects,
but still it won't work.  I even tried parenting the light to the cube but it still stays on.

Any help would be great. this should be a super simple task... yes ?  

mickman

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Make light BLINK ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
So I managed to get a light  blink but in a what I feel is the long way around.. over engineered.

I created a cube, added a halo effect to the cube then added blink to the cube this turns the halo on and off.. but this is really not the best way.. I'm sure Blink must simply turn a light on and off yes ??
So is this [solved] ?  hhmm.. sort of 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:05:35 PM by mickman »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
Hi,

What is your blinking rate? this will very much tell which technic to use. If you need a fast blinking light, then you will likely need some extra step to make it stable and reliable.

bye,

Jean

mickman

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »
Hi Jean,

Blinking rate is a standard aircraft wing blink which is approx. 1sec. on -  1.sec off.

Is the method above that relies on a primitive object, the best approach ?

I thought perhaps a Halo parented to an empty game object would work.. but it seems it works only with a primitive object. (is it possible to simply add the Blink Action to a light ?)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:54:39 PM by mickman »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
Hi,

at that rate, the best way is to simply have two states, one for off, one for on, and you use the action "send event" with a delay of 1 that transit to the other state and done.

simply set the light intensity ( there is an action for this) or simply activate deactivate the gameObject itself, that will work too.

Experiment with this and come back to me if you have trouble.

bye,

Jean

ZacF

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:53:25 AM »
is it possible to simply add the Blink Action to a light ?)

Ack, this was never answered in this thead and is specifically what I'm looking for, only with 'Flicker' instead of 'Blink'. I'd like to flicker some point lights, but the flicker action doesn't work on lights, only geometry.  What gives?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »
Hi,

use random float action ( or the custom action perlinnoise) and control the light intensity. that will do.

bye,

Jean