playMaker

Author Topic: TNet: Tasharen Networking actions?  (Read 12538 times)

derkoi

TNet: Tasharen Networking actions?
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm thinking about purchasing this & wondered if anyones made any actions for it?

http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=4518

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: TNet: Tasharen Networking actions?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:15 AM »
Hi,

Not yet, but very curious about what it does actually, I am still very unsure about how the whole server side is handled. But given nGUI, I am sure Tnet must be very useful as well indeed.

bye,

Jean

PIXELCRY

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:22 AM »
dont know if it answer your question but server is included in the client when you host a game, and when the host leave the party, server still run but its a second player that become the server

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
Hi,

uhm, not really answering no, cause even when the client is handling the "server side" scripting, still the network has to be routed viy a server, and what is this server ( regardless if it has scripting or if it's the master or not), Even Photon Cloud has a server connnection, even if it follows the same principle.

I guess it's because I am really allergic to servers...

bye,

Jean

tiggus

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
I'm also interested in this, about to start a project that hopefully uses both playmaker and TNet.

The server side for TNet as far as I understand it is simply a message router between clients, and one client is authoritative.  So if you send a RPC it gets sent to the server which then broadcasts it out to all the clients who belong to that channel(ie move cube, instiantiate object, etc.)

Gevarre

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »
I too would be very interested in actions for this, and I'm assuming it would be a good fit because you have already integrated NGui, their other product. Any update on this?

If you have server questions, the best thing would be to probably email Tasharen.

It appears that it's mainly geared towards setting up your own server, either locally or over the net, then letting everyone connect to it. Here's a video on youtube by Tasharen on the basics:

And here are a couple specifically on setting up a server and connecting to channels within it done by another guy:

Hopefully that will help. Of course the problem is that it's still so new that no one has really used it, but it looks rather promising, and from what I can tell, seems to be a lot more geared towards things with high data rates and fast updates, like first-person shooters, than PUN is.

Gevarre

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
Update:
After reading some of the TNet forums, it looks like there is a server executable included in the package (it's only 35Kb). You run that somewhere, and then connect to it. One person (usually the first to connect) becomes the authoritative player, but gameplay still goes through the server.

There is also a built-in ability to just "host" a game, but it still seems to fire up the server.exe behind the scenes and the person "hosting" again becomes the authoritative player.

There is a big thread on this here (this is page 2 of the thread where the server questions start, about half-way down):
http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=2513.25

it seems like they're really going out of their way to make it easy to use, though that's just from what I've been reading. I wanted to hold off trying it until there was at least beginning Playmaker support for it.

One of the coolest things about this package (besides the supposed better data transfer rates), is that the server can be set to persistant, meaning that if the authoritative player leaves, another one automatically takes over. You can also save any and all scene data on the server, so the game can shut down and pick up where it left off if that's something that's needed. It appears that even if you shut down the server, everything gets saved and you can just start it up again.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
Hi,

The game saving feature is very interesting indeed.

Currently, I have no personal plans to port this to PlayMaker, it may very well become something planned as part of the the community support soon. Until then, I am not sure how this could happen without a proper budget allocated to port this to PlayMaker. Unless someone else step in :)

bye,

Jean

SubZero

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
Still interested in this!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
Ouch.. already 6 month has passed...

My comment is still valid, proper resources needs to be allocated. But at this very moment, it's more a problem of time than funding... which is even worse.

So hopefully, someone can contribute to this at least for it to take of.

I am currently shaping a new project that needs to use some serious networking back end, if it turns out we use Tnet, then the community will definitly benefit from it! so finger crossed ( it's a close tie between photon,ulink, and tNet basically).

Bye,

Jean

vidjogamer

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
+1 for TNet :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 06:36:42 AM »
Hi,

for your vote to count properly ( reliably I should say), please vote this task:

https://trello.com/c/Xh9WuHKZ/38-tnet

make sure you use the "vote" button, not just commenting a +1, since Trello will properly count the votes and then I can prioritize work based on community wills.

bye,

Jean

Gevarre

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
I'd like to vote for this too, but the trello site is rather confusing.

The Sticky on the site says you don't need to sign up and you can just select a card and click on "vote", but clicking on a card just brings up a description of the item. There is no vote button as far as I can tell.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 02:24:58 AM »
Hi,

It's good you bring that up. I think you need to "join" the board, before I had to do this manually, but now you should be able to join by yourself, and then you can vote tasks.

Keep me updated in this, thanks.

Bye,

Jean

Gevarre

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
Sorry,
No offense to you. With all the hard work you do, I'm sure you don't have the time to deal with keeping track of votes and so on, which makes this service easier, but I won't be joining up with yet another company that requires me to give up unnecessary personal information just so I can say "me too" to a particular feature.

It's all right though because everything you add to Playmaker is wonderful :)