playMaker

Author Topic: In game store?  (Read 4243 times)

derkoi

In game store?
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
I'm currently working on an in game store for my game. This will be for earned in game currency, not real money.

How would you tackle this in playmaker? I started working on it but realised it needs to be better than I've done so far.

digimbyte

• Junior Playmaker
Re: In game store?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »
I would suggest using playMaker to initiate the market and use another package to handle it
you would need something built from the ground up with "libraries" for your items for sale

playMaker is a state machine and can only do so much

I would suggest making an FSM to be idle for the shop and your primary playMaker script to launch it into the 'open' state and let your primary FSM to idle while the other one does all the work for the store
but again depending on what you wish to do you wont be able to use playMaker to do the finer details of a 'shop'
not without a lot of unnecessary work

derkoi

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
I think you misunderstand me. The shop uses in game money, no real money will be spent just currency earned from winning races.

digimbyte

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
I think you misunderstand me, playMaker is a state machine, it is possible to make some sort of shop/market place in your game purely with playMaker but its highly impractical

you have to ask yourself a few things, how complicated is the 'shop' and does stock dissapear and replenish etc and how complicated is the layout and how will it function

that's why i suggested that you find or create your own script that playMaker can run when its in a 'shopping' state because if you try and build it all in playMaker, you'll end up with so many states and actions you'll just have loops of bugs and problems unless your really tallented

derkoi

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Well it' not a complicated store, just 5 vehicles & some paint schemes that can be bought.

Can you suggest a script on the asset store? I never found one.  :-\

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:56:07 AM »
Hi,

You should be just fine with PlayMaker actually. Coupled with ArrayMaker you have everything to maintain a list of items bought, a list of possible items to buy.

When you cut down the problem, there is isn't much to this actually, even with more articles to buy.

Are you looking for a server side solution to keep users detail or all offline?

bye,

Jean

derkoi

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
I'm just looking for all offline, nothing too complex.  :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
Hi,

then your next step is to find out how you are going to save the user details between sessions. You can use player prefs, but I suspect it will quickly get messy. Have you investigated ways of saving data ( like frameworks on the asset store etc etc).

In terms of logic, there is nothing to it really.

-- keep track of how much money the user have ( a global var will do )

-- present the user with a list of items to purchase ( arrayList, or XmlMaker)

-- let the user pick an item, and deduce the price from the user money, add that item in the user list of purchased item.

Does that sound feasible?

bye,

Jean