playMaker

Author Topic: Workflow when using playmaker with SVN ?  (Read 4733 times)

David

• Playmaker Newbie
Workflow when using playmaker with SVN ?
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:49 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to understand the workflow when using playmaker in a collaborative project shared on a svn server (my friend has a playmaker licence too of course).

I've done some searches on this forum and it seems that it isn't possible to merge everything as there is some binary files involved. I can understand that it would be a HUDGE work to make everything work and it would be for some kind of "pro" version of playmaker as Jean said in another post. But if someone can give me some tips on what is easily "sharable" with svn or not, it would be nice :)
  • I'm not worried about custom actions, as they're just code.
  • Templates seems to be single binary files, so I suppose my friend can add some new templates, or work on a different template and that I can update/get his files (but I should have made any modification on it so we don't have to merge it). I'm just not sure how the "use template on this prefab or asset" in the unity inspector will be shared then.
  • I can't find where the different FSMs are stored, can we work on the same asset/prefab but different FSMs at the same time then merge our work ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:59:00 AM by David »

kiriri

Re: Workflow when using playmaker with SVN ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
Do you have unity pro? It natively supports most repositories. I've tried it on git, and had no problems with playmaker.
Best,
Sven

David

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
I have it at work (and I didn't found a good excuse for my boss to buy a playmaker licence there ... yet  ;D... (But I will find one as soon as we have a new unity related project  ::)), but not at home and my friend doesn't have Pro neither, so we're staying on unity free at the moment.

Since 3.5 unity supports version control even with the free version for things like assets and sceneries, but I'm not sure about what will happens with playmaker FSMs, what would cause conflicts and what wouldn't. I'll have to give it a try but I'd prefer to have some "official" answer than discover corrupted files after some commits/updates :).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:06:20 AM by David »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
Hi,

I am using svn and git on various projects, and it's fine. Only you can't diff playmaker fsm's, and you can't diff prefabs, nor scenes and stuff like that, but that's ok if you commit often.

The photon code and demos are hosted currently on svn, and that works ok too.

bye,

Jean

Jake

• Junior Playmaker
    • Fluffy Underware
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:14 AM »
I'm interested in using GIT with Unity as well, so far I only used SVN at work for C# projects. How do you interact with GIT? Do you push/pull using one of the default tools for your OS or do you use a Unity integrated solution?

David

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:58:08 AM »
Thanks for your reply Jean, we'll do some tests :)

kiriri

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
I'm interested in using GIT with Unity as well, so far I only used SVN at work for C# projects. How do you interact with GIT? Do you push/pull using one of the default tools for your OS or do you use a Unity integrated solution?
tortoiseGIT is a good solution for windows (it's just like tortoiseSVN (duh :D) ). I didn't have any problems with it and Unity. Haven't tried any plugins for unity yet though (didn't actually know there were any) , so I'm clueless there.
Best,
Sven