playMaker

Author Topic: GUI with Joystick Input  (Read 2849 times)

artician

• 1.2 Beta
GUI with Joystick Input
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
Hello all, I am working on a project that is designed with console controllers in mind.  I have successfully gotten the GUI interface actions to work just fine in the past, using mouse input and whatnot, however I'm not certain where to start for joystick input.  I would like to use the joystick to highlight each menu option, and select them with the press of a button, but I can find no natural way to do this aside from making the thumbstick simply control the mouse (which is awkward for a console-style presentation).

I have a few theories about ways to attempt this, but I'd really like to know if anyone here has prior experience they could relate, or suggestions they could throw my way.

Many thanks in advance for the help!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: GUI with Joystick Input
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
Hi,

I think the best way is to have a tab system like in html. Each gui element is assigned an Id and you can in sequence get the focus on that element. The built in has something like that currently, don't know tho how it performs regards menus content and such.

Tho, I would first look at EasyGUI, it has tremendous power regards user input and can with one system handle, mouse, touch, and raycast to give total user interaction control over gui element ( and not just that, anything 3d as well!). You will anyway likely need something more "effective" than the built in gui system, and easyGUi is simply unbeatable in that field.

Bye,

Jean