playMaker

Author Topic: One Game A Month playMaker Participants?  (Read 5079 times)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
One Game A Month playMaker Participants?
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
I'm curious how many people do #1GAM with playMaker. I know the Robot does them, and I plan on participating this month - who else is?

If there are several, we could have a local thread for 1GAM's done in playMaker here.

Information on One Game A Month:
http://www.onegameamonth.com/

Check out the FAQ if you are unfamiliar.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
Re: One Game A Month playMaker Participants?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:42:20 AM »
Cool Man! This is great! Though I didn't see anybody else doing this. ::)

Looking forward to your #1GAM Lane. We were already talking about a competition in this forums. Why don't we do a Jam before that? #1GAM is a great place to do that.

We could share tips and tricks too. It'd be awesome if developers like kiriri can join in.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »
What does a Jam involve anyway? I keep seeing about those and never found a description lol

Theres a lot of great developers here, I think Sven is tied up with finals right now but it would be cool to see stuff from him in the coming months for sure.
Products by Cleverous

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
A game jam is a gathering of game developers for the purpose of planning, designing, and creating one or more games within a short span of time. It's all about practicing and prototyping experimental ideas. Having a great hangout anyway.

And I thought game jams are games stewed in sugar!  ;D

Red

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
Hmm, i'm sure it could certainly help... i've (to be completely honest) found myself getting distracted from my current game (which is pretty large in scope) and nibbling away at other things so it might be worth considering.

if there is enough interest, maybe we could form a "Playmaker Forums" team there? I'm sure there is enough talent in all the various aspects of game design that we could end up making some awesome games and what with skype, join-me/livestream and all that, it wouldn't be too hard to set up meetings to telecommute (that's how i do my thing here when i have a gig... mainly because of my disability preventing me from being able to go into offices every day.)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »
Works for me. I actually had started working on a project and wanted to pile every type of game style I could into it and keep it all modular so I could rip out parts and use them in other projects easily. I planned on sorting out RTS GUI, city building economy, pathfinding, enemy AI, FPS view, Diablo style hero view and setup, inventory system, leveling system, top down space shooter, conversation system, vehicles ground and air, 3d gui, etc.. and piling it all into one project with modular access to each system in the gameplay under the basic premise of building a city on the ground and defending against enemies with any of the systems you want to use. So far it has proved easier than I thought with the exception of pathfinding.

I intended on taking much longer than a month for that though lol. Prototyping is fairly easy but tweaking, optimizing and modularizing everything can be a challenge and I'm totally hung up on pathfinding since the only official action support is a unity pro feature I'm avoiding it. I was hoping to release as a free community project so new users could get ideas on how to overcome roadblocks in basic game systems.
Products by Cleverous

Red

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
well, one way in which this could help is if you keep an overall design guide and manage to keep things in check with it, making smaller games to refine a particular aspect or feature you want to incorporate into your larger game is a decent way to go about it.

Heck, in putting together my asset packs for the asset store, i had to create a contained system and that really did help point out some of the ways in which my previous systems weren't as efficient or needed some work and what i learned and made with this pack can easily be applied to my main game... It makes me wonder how much more i can do... so, i'm actually seriously considering this as an option but to be frank there are some things which i'm not that skilled with which i could use a collaborator with.

So, this is essentially a question... anyone want to join up for this? we can arrange a forum post where we can discuss things like what kind of game, what we can offer and what we'd need... and it could be also a thread that people can reference to see how a game comes together as long as we're okay with allowing it be public (which is what i'd vote for... makes no sense trying to keep things a secret if other people can benefit from what we're learning.)

so... any takers?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
Yeah as long as its casual sure, I mostly tinker on the side with this for my own fun and wouldn't like it to get too demanding of my time but I'm up for it. Fire up a thread!

We should probably use dropbox or something and just share asset packs, that way older versions are easy to archive and there aren't heaps and heaps of attachments floating through the thread.
Products by Cleverous

Red

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
Yeah as long as its casual sure, I mostly tinker on the side with this for my own fun and wouldn't like it to get too demanding of my time but I'm up for it. Fire up a thread!

We should probably use dropbox or something and just share asset packs, that way older versions are easy to archive and there aren't heaps and heaps of attachments floating through the thread.

Good idea... I'll get a thread going. Though it might be tough since the theme is already half over but i'm sure we could all whip something together that is decent enough.