playMaker

Author Topic: Unity|Learn. (we should do something like this.)  (Read 5121 times)

Red

Unity|Learn. (we should do something like this.)
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
http://www.unity3d.com/learn

Newly launched... And though I would be amiss to neglect the many video tutorials out there that help people learn Playmaker, Maybe we should consider collaborating or something to put together packages that people can learn from much like this?

What say you, Node-pushers? good idea? bad idea? needs-more-work idea?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Unity|Learn. (we should do something like this.)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
I'll contribute, there's already a pretty decent collage on the playmaker youtube page.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:58 AM »
Hi,

Totally good idea, but totally time consuming as always :) I wanted to start something with the angrybots project, but that's simply overwhelming to do in my free time...

I think playmaker should align itself to this, and provide the same step by step on the same assets, and do it ALL in playmaker. That would be a Killer! especially since a viewer will likely come out soon, this would be the perfect starting point. But again, the effort and budget required to do this properly might not be effective as is.

I will study this content and their tutorial to see how far they are taking things, but I guess it will be pretty simple and basic hopefully.

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
Aah, using the Angry bots system would probably be the best option! thank you for the idea!

I can make no promises (as there is a decent amount of stuff on my plate) but using angry bots as a source, maybe we can all collaborate to replace the various scripts with playmaker stuff? from there it shouldn't be too hard to break down how we did so into a step-by-step PDF or something like that.

I'll take a look-see at the deeper bits and see about separating the assets out to see how they'd be set up. i'm sure that it's do-able (heck, with that set of assets, i'm sure we could even make it multiplayer with the stock multiplayer action set.)

Red

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
I'm thinking that this ought to be one of those "long-game" ideas... so, not one of those "get it done now" things but one of those "if you have some spare time and the drive, maybe see about picking apart an angry-bot object" and if we put together a thread or sub-forum we can post our results and the community can then pick it apart and we can then all choose which one we all feel is the best one to go with (not for complexity, more for being easier to understand and the most efficient.)

and once we have finalized it and all the documentation is done, we package it all up and maybe have it hosted as a free asset on the asset store (though i'm not sure how the Unity devs would appreciate hosting the Angry-bots project but as long as we're not trying to profit from it and just trying to use it as a means of helping people learn stuff, I can't see them being against it.)

Maurice

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
I like the idea of Jean to make the tutorial examples not only in C#,JS and Boo as now, but a playmaker version next to it will be cool.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:17 AM »
Hi,

Yeah, I had a proper look at this stealh scripts and what would be involved in making it all in playmaker, and I think it's doable, if I start step by step, I think it would be really helpful. I will have to first finish my pending tasks, like ngui port for example, and then I think I will start on that.

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Well, try not to put yourself over a barrel for this, Jean... I mean you've got a lot on your plate as is and this is something that all of us here are more than capable of doing whereas not all of us can do the high-level programming that you're doing.

Just don't want you to get burnt out is all. (though if you truly want to, I won't stop you.)

i'm going to go through the assets and put a breakdown of the systems so that there can be an itemized list of assets and code and such.)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
Hi,

I hear you.... :) tho, I feel it's equally important to leverage demos such as is one in playmaker. The games from M2H that I ported to playmaker are very important for beginners, and a lot of games were inspired from this. Most credits goes to Mike of course, but porting them to playmaker made them reach our community, so high level coding yes, but this is for a fraction of playmaker user base, while such Unity Learn material would benefit a larger audience.

Do you have access to the wiki? if yes, and willing to start a page on this, that would be great, else I'll set it up.

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
I don't think i have access to the wiki... though, i'm not sure how i would log in to check (unless it's tied to this account and is always logged in, in which case i guess i don't have access to the wiki.)

The wiki i think would probably be the best place for this kind of thing i think too... good catch!

so, there's a place, there's a project, there's a need... i guess all that's left to do is to "just do it!" (if you'll forgive the thieving of a popular brand of sneaker's tag-line.)