playMaker

Author Topic: OGAM: Playmaker thread  (Read 4702 times)

Red

OGAM: Playmaker thread
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
This month's theme on the One game a month website is Rogue.

So, let's talk ideas. list yours and then we all vote (just ideally not for our own since that should help prevent stalemates.)

So, my thought would be to make a game where you're a rogue and the gameplay elements would be sneaking primarily. so, stealth gameplay. Also maybe add in a sort of loot-drop system for enemies with a basic experience-bar level system.

the usuals too, health, mana (or whatever is used to fuel special abilities) and score.

stages in the game... so, emphasis on modularity. I think having some randomly generated levels might be worth considering but the only random level generation systems i've built so far aren't decent that i'd feel comfortable including them.

what i can bring to the table... basic player controls, ability management, XP tracking and such... also i've got 3d modeling, rigging, animating and texturing as a core skillset so if there is need of 3d assets, i can help with that (though let's not get too crazy with the requirements.)

what is your idea? what can you bring to the table skill-set wise? any systems you've built that might help in making this a reality?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: OGAM: Playmaker thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Futuristic Jungle Based 3rd Person Hovercraft Beer Delivery Guy in Hostile Territory With Robots That Need Beer.

Thats what I think, anyways.. =)

I have Max 2010 and Zbrush 4 so I can do some modelling. I'm not much for textures, rigs or animation. I'm working with a physics control system and have a semi-working helicopter system that's very modular, i've done some top down shooter stuff and a clumsy city building prototype but can't get through pathfinding. Having lots of fun with the physics control stuff.

I don't know anything about procedural generation of levels.

We should definitely be adding notations on anything we do, sometimes its pretty difficult to follow an fsm and the notes are important to explain things.

I like the stealth aspect, but I'm unsure of how to implement interesting gameplay in that genre. I've played Commando's and such, working around vision cones and sound ranges so thats always a start.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Red

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
That sounds like it'd be a fun concept (and i can see a couple ways in which to execute it... though, i'd have to do a test to see if the spring systems would do what i'd hope to since I'm kinda thinking a top-down(ish) crazy-taxi like thing... and with it being a hovercraft it'd make the controls be kinda neat since there'd be a sort of "looseness" to it handling that i think would add to the challenge (if done right.) Though i am a little curious how it'd fit into the theme of "Rogue" that the OGAM page has set it as.

though, if these are the only two ideas/two people voting, how are we going to decide which one to do?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Rogue?s=t

rogue
[rohg] Show IPA noun, verb, rogued, ro·guing, adjective
noun
a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.
a playfully mischievous person; scamp: The youngest boys are little rogues.
a tramp or vagabond.
a rogue elephant or other animal of similar disposition.
Biology . a usually inferior organism, especially a plant, varying markedly from the normal.
verb (used without object)
to live or act as a rogue.
Verb (used with object)
to cheat.
to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desired standard).
to perform this operation upon: to rogue a field.
adjective
(of an animal) having an abnormally savage or unpredictable disposition, as a rogue elephant.
no longer obedient, belonging, or accepted and hence not controllable or answerable; deviating, renegade: a rogue cop; a rogue union local.

Seems like anything where the character is a jerk or Han Solo style character should work :P Maybe we could have multiple options for finishing a level, taking the beer to a different place for different rewards like more coin and the destinations update their reward mid mission, so you get choices, and offers, then war breaks out between the destinations because of the bidding and by the time you get there its a nuclear wasteland and they spent your payment trying to destroy the other destination so you lay waste to them and drink the beer by yourself.

Thats pretty Roguesque, I think.

Or it could be a single map with randomly assigned quests and locations to deliver beer and you have to blast your way through heaps of enemy robots to get there.

Or you could just jump in your vehicle and decide to destroy everything because you're having a bad day.
Products by Cleverous

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Products by Cleverous

Maurice

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
Hello Lane,

I like the controls of the hover craft, i want to see it turn also.

Now for some additional game logic  ;D

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
Hey Maurice, it should be turning by pointing the mouse, WASD is for thrusting around and it spins on the Y axis towards the mouse.
Products by Cleverous

Maurice

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Cool  ;) i don't know how i overlooked it, will you publish the playmaker source when it's ready ?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
Of course! You can contribute to it if you like.
Products by Cleverous

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
Nice going guys! You really got this thing going. Mind if I drop two suggestions?

1. Rogue is not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike. Which is the theme of this month. But it's a 100% optional theme anyway. Don't have to stick to that.

2. Can you share the unity project instead of unity file. I mean sharing dropbox folders. Let's try that. You can mail the access to the members here. That way all of us can boot up the project and add.

I really planned something which shouldn't be planned in a 1 month game jam. Suffering from that. I don't know if I can make this month.

But you guys got something interesting going. Keep it up!