playMaker

Author Topic: moving folders  (Read 3642 times)

greg

• Junior Playmaker
moving folders
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
my project  is starting to get a lot of folders for things like Astar, playmaker, photon.. just wondering if i make a folder in project view "general" and dump everything in there, will it all still work properly?

Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: moving folders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
Hi,

make a backup of your project first.

I would not recommand this tho, some assets do rely on hardcoded pathes within the asset folder to work properly.

What I tend to do is work the other way, my own stuff gets into a specific folder, so if my project is about a puzzle game, I will create a folder "Puzzle Game" and put everything exclusive to this game here

bye,

Jean
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:13:28 AM by jeanfabre »

PolyMad

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »
I do the same as Jean: first thing I do in a project is make a folder MARCO where I put all the stuff I do.
Just in case of a cooperation there will be folders named differently :D

markfrancombe

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:48:57 AM »
Just a small addition to what has been said here.
Yes this is a known issue with Unity, that the project folder gets a bit messy.
Definitely put all your own stuff into a folder, but before you start adding code/functionality. Secondly keep frameworks (Playmaker , Photon) as they are, let them be where they wanna be.
IF you want to move something, do it IN the project window, NOT the Finder (exlplorer in windoze) sometimes Unity will update paths if you do it there, but not if it doesnt know about it.

And most important, do ONE THING AT A TIME; and test before you move something else.

Nice little tool I use is "Build Report" on Asset Store. It shows the size of things in your project, and gives you a report, nice for getting an overview. Currently they are adding functionality that lets you do the opposite, what assets are NOT in use... Even tho Unity doesn't include these elements in a build, its nice to tidy up the clutter...

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »
Personally I don't move any of my extensions or major asset bundles from their default folders. Like above, I create all my "my" folders at the bottom by adding an x in front of them  and put all of my stuff in there.

I haven't been so fortunate with moving folders and assets around, It seems to break everything when I move too much around and then I have a really, really hard time fixing it so unless its a very simple asset from the store that I can easily reimport and I'm not too worried about... Its staying where Unity wants it.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
There's a huge benefit, to moving plugins into folders like Assets/Plugins, Assets/Standard Asset it can help drastically reduce compile time.

http://pekalicious.com/blog/unity3d-reduce-compile-time-with-standard-assets/

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
Hi,
Good to know, i will definitely try to play around with my folders (after making a backup of course ;) )

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
So I moved those folders. And for the most part it works. But it seems that Exosystem has hardcoded path, so it doesn't work.

https://i.gyazo.com/780058fbb2ea65fa0e7b4704f7b9ca3f.png

I've moved it back to original destination and considering that Net.Fabrejean scripts are location in Editor folder. I works find with playmaker that is located in Plugins folder.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:37:45 AM by Gua »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:16:50 AM »
Hi,

yeah, I'll see what I can do to make the Ecosystem moveable.

Bye,

Jean