playMaker

Author Topic: Match 3 game approach?  (Read 4196 times)

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Match 3 game approach?
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Hi everyone, been away for awhile, but recently I've had the urge to get back to my projects. One such project is a match 3 game in a similar vein to candy crush for example. It's actually a project my wife showed interest in and wants to work on with me, so I'm all for that!
  I've done some research and strangely enough they aren't many Unity devs entering this arena, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places  :-\ At any rate, I'm looking for a starting point with Playmaker and just how to approach the concept. For such a simple premise, it's deceptively tricky to approach, there's actually quite a bit happening when you break it down.

Any thoughts would be great, maybe we can get a discussion started here for like-minded peeps.

Cheers!

Red

Re: Match 3 game approach?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
All I can really think of to get the "match three" system working would be to have each "gem" have four additional colliders (top, left, right, bottom) that are triggers that only detect the gem that they're next to and use that data to determine if a match is made. i'm sure you'd have to add in a system to ensure that it's not toggling matches and dissolving "gems" as they're falling... but, i'm sure that wouldn't be hard to node around.

though, that's off the top of my head and i'm not sure how well it'd translate to a game.

Kilgore Jones

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:23:43 AM »
Great question! I have a similar problem finding any information on creating a game in this genre using Playmaker or even just Unity. I'm not making a matching game, but a similar styled game that deals with objects on a 2D 5x5 grid where actions affect multiple objects in a row/column/section of the board. I have no idea yet how to make an efficient working FSM system to do this...

I was wondering if an array would work using ArrayMaker, but that may be too complicated for me as a beginner programmer.

The collider approach sounds interesting and I will have to try that out!

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:00:01 AM »
Thanks for this thread, I got the idea for my this months #1GAM :)

If you want to follow and get part in the development :
Match 3

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:36 AM »
Very cool Flying Robot, I really dig your experiments and will be following along on this one :)