playMaker

Author Topic: Editor Window behaves strange  (Read 3219 times)

Mayhem

Editor Window behaves strange
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
Hey there. I don't know if this is the right forum, if not, please move it to another section.

So, what's the deal. In the last months/weeks I was very happy working with PlayMaker and I still am. And that certain problem occured the moment I started working with PlayMaker, months/weeks ago, as said. I thought this was kind of a "thing" of the Plugin but now it's a problem within prototyping.

So: when I setup my Actions for a certain GameObject in the PlayMaker-Window and hit Play WHILE having the PM-Editor-Window open the game and the editor-window are behaving strange. I cant scroll around the Editor-Window, can't zoom in/out, can't select another state than the State which is currently active etc.
The game itself does "well", but there are always some hiccups (NO FPS-Drops, just some hiccupish behaviour of the Characters) and not 100% correct Script- or FSM-behaviours till the moment I close the PlayMaker-Window/Tab or change to another Tab -> then the game works perfectly fine, no hiccups etc. But as soon the PM-Editor-Window is open again these behaviours start, in the game and in the PM-Editor-Window.

Any explanation?

I am using the latest PM-Version on Unity 3.5.7 with a Mac.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Editor Window behaves strange
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
There were a lot of changes to the graph view recently to optimize editor performance, as well as lots of changes in Unity updates, so there may well be bugs. But we need a repro case to fix a bug. If you can isolate and reproduce the problem, please submit a bug: PlayMaker/Tools/Submit Bug Report. A simple repro project is even better!

Do you have Unity 4? I'd be interested to see if you see the same behavior in 4...

Does it happen in any project, large or small?
Are you using any other third party plugins?

Mayhem

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
Sorry, I do not have Unity 4.

Could you define what "small/large" is :D ? For now, I've got "only" one scene with about 100-200 GameObjects (mostly 2D Sprites).

Third Party Plugins:

- 2D PlattformController
- nGUI
- Fingergestures
- 2D Toolkit
- uSequencer
- Unity Serializer
- Hotween + Visual Editor
- Thinkscroller

I had this behaviour also when I used 1.5.X of PlayMaker and I really don't know exactly how you guys could reproduce this behaviour :/
I only know that it works completely fine in a complete empty project where only PlayMaker is imported.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »
Hi,

Are you doing loops? or are you sending lots of events per frame on particular features?

bye,

Jean

Mayhem

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
There are "loops" but they are not infinite.
I am sending events (maybe 10-20) but the most of them aren't particular features.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:19 AM »
Hi,

ok, profiling will be the key to solve this, unless for example you use some obvious slow functions like find Objects or something, but at this point, it would be good to know exactly what you are doing. Pm me if you can send me the project, or try to run a profile of your game.

bye,

Jean

Mayhem

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »
I don't have Unity Pro, so I can't use the Profiler :/

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
Hi,

pm me, I can sign NDA if you want, and I'll send you the results, and likely point at the cuase of the trouble, if you get real obvious peaks, it will be easy to find out.

bye,

Jean