playMaker

Author Topic: Sending metrics to me.  (Read 1976 times)

Red

Sending metrics to me.
« on: May 26, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
So... i'm getting to the point where i'd like to have the game i've been toiling over released soon.

Thing is, something i'd like to do for a beta process (i'm going to be in beta for a while) is to set it up so that i can have metrics sent to me for things like how many people used the game with a particular player class, what weapons they've upgraded, their win/loss ratio for that class, that kinda thing.

I hope to do this more so that i can get feedback as to whether i have to tweak the classes a bit so as to ensure that it's balanced as best as i can make it... and if i can have a system set up that will send me that information in some way, that'd help greatly.

anyone have anything like this done in Playmaker already? if so, could you be willing to share with me your process?

mainly it's because my first attempt at this will be "duels" so that two players square off in a deathmatch kind of situation... and if i know which class is overpowered and which class needs some boosts, i can ensure that the game is balanced and fair.

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: Sending metrics to me.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »
I too will be wanting this towards the second half of my game production. Have you taken a look at Prime[31]'s plugins?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Sending metrics to me.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »
Hi,

For this, the "hardest" part will be gathering data and provide an interface for it, getting the data is easy.

Acquiring Data:

-- use Parse, or any equivalent of Online database services
Or
-- use a custom php/mysql server and simply send url to a php page that will store the data. that's the easiest way, but you need to know php/mysql and have a server host for this.

within your game, you will simply call your server or parse when you want to send data, you could buffer it and send a bunch in one go or send it on the fly, I suggest the seoncd approach, this is for beta, so traffic is not important and if the user quits or leave you don't loose anything, if you buffer in a text file or local database, then it requires more work to manage it.

Processing Data:

-- you will need to build a webpage or a tool ( possible within Unity Editor as well) to display graphs, stats and things you want to know based on the data. This part will require the use of external library if you need graphs, pies, charts, if it's just numbers, then that' easier.

If you need someone to write this, pm me to arrange something, this is something I do very often in my projects.

I have seen people mastering Google analytics and do crazy stuff with this, but that's already very advanced.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/platform/features/customdimsmets

http://techpad.co.uk/content.php?sid=209

bye,

Jean