playMaker

Author Topic: Tutorial Help - Adding Multiple Transitions[SOLVED]  (Read 5882 times)

MarkD

Tutorial Help - Adding Multiple Transitions[SOLVED]
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:33:24 AM »
Hello Playmaker Community!

Apologies if this has been answered already in the forums, but using the search feature yielded me nothing so I'm looking for some help.

In the 3rd tutorial video discussing adding triggers, we're supposed to add multiple transitions to the opening state.  The version used in the video you can right click and add empty/non-named transitions but in the newest version I'm using I cannot.  I seem to have to create/name them in advance. 

And this is the root of the problem.  I can add a single transition, but if I try to add two whatever I add simply overrides my first (and only) transition.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:00:50 AM by jeanfabre »

random1

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Tutorial Help - Adding Multiple Transitions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
I too am new to PM so take this with salt.
I remember that tutorial and yes, it does seem to have changed. However I have no problem adding multiple events.
To a state I can:

a) Add lots of different events.
b) Add the same event multiple times.

In the event manager I can add multiple different events.

I've found the PM editor can be a little flaky sometimes - closing the PM editor ("Close tab") and re-opening it usually helps.

In short, it /should/ work.

MarkD

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply random1!

I can add multiple events pretty easily.. it's adding multiple transitions to a state that I can't seem to figure out. 

I've attached an image to help point out what I'm looking for.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
Hi,

Simply Right click on your state and select "add transition", they will stack down as you add more. You can also reorder them by right clicking on the transition itself.

Bye,

Jean

MarkD

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »
Thanks for help Jeanfabre,

I don't have a option for "add transition".  In the videos I notice that the user is adding empty transition events and then later assigns a target to them.  I don't seem to have that option.  I HAVE to have a transition event already made and when I right click on my state to add a transition event, I have to choose from a list of events I've made.

I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate.  Btw, my version is 1.6.1.f4

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
Ah, I see.

create your event first.

A state transition use events. you can not create a state transition AND its event in one go.

1: go to the event tab, and add the event you want to use in a state transition
2: select your state, right click "Add Transition" and select the newly created event.

Does that help?

IF, when you right click on a state, you don't have a contextual menu with "add transition", then this is very odd indeed. Are you on mac or windows?

bye,

Jean

MarkD

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:08 AM »
Wow - simple usability issue here.  Hopefully the Playmaker folks read this.

Short version:  I now understand how to add more than one transition per state - thank you!

The problem I was having was that I was just clicking on the box as if it were one simple entity.  But what I was doing was clicking on the only transition I had added.  So whenever I tried to add a transition I was just changing the one that I had selected.  If I carefully select the top portion of the box, the state, and I add a transition I can add multiple. 

Thank you very much for the patience and help!

random1

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Tutorial Help - Adding Multiple Transitions[SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
Hi Mark,
Glad you got it resolved. While the interface for PM is ok, I think it could be a little easier as you discovered.

An excellent Visual Programming application is FME (it's for GIS data conversions) - www.safe.com. Maybe the devs want to take a look at it; you can get a free trial. One of their founders has a masters is Human-Computer interactions or something.