playMaker

Author Topic: Asset Bundles Actions  (Read 27097 times)

rik

Re: Asset Bundles Actions
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 05:29:23 AM »
Hi
jean able to get some time

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »
no...  :'(

It's on my short list, but I need to clear some pending samples and proxies I need to clean up and push on the Ecosystem, then I'll tackle bundles. I don't want jsut to send actions untested, I need to understand and work with bundles first myself, so I need to set it up and test it.

but don't worry, it's planned. As they say here. "For monday, but we don't know of which week..."...

Bye,

Jean

Prototype_6492

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 04:47:30 PM »
Any new info on this?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »
Hi,

on my todos... I need to fofus on finishing a major Ecosystem update first...

Bye,

Jean

rik

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »
HI
Bump any news

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 01:08:13 AM »
Hi,

it's still on hold, sorry...

Bye,

Jean

memetic arts

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
One more bump.

And a question and/or proposal . . . it seems that one of the main sticking points of asset bundles is that you can't include scripts . . . would it make sense, then, to also have an action that could attach scripts to bundled assets, as well as set public variables at runtime?

Because if that is not possible, my project might be dead in the water...  :-\

(well, not really, but finding a workaround would be painful!)

thx

Richard

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »
Hi,

PlayMaker are not scripts, so you can include Prefabs with PlayMaker fsms on it.

It's true however that if you want a new action, then you'll need to update your build.

I am not sure I follow your proposal tho, can you clarify? if bundles can not have scripts, you can't write a utility to force this.

As for setting public variables from a bundle, you can, cause as I said, you can include Fsms in your bundles.

Bye,

Jean

memetic arts

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 01:58:24 AM »
Hi Jean -

Yes, understood re: difference between FSMs and scripts. The problem is that the scripts I'm using aren't so simple to convert to an FSM (at least not for me!). In fact, they are already attached to a prefab. Each scene consists of static instances of the prefabs, with the script's variables manually set before runtime.

What I was proposing was having a "core" FSM that would sit with the app (not in the bundle), and then, as script-less versions of the instantiated prefabs are loaded from the asset bundle, the FSM would attach the script to the instantiated prefabs at runtime.

So, for example, if a game object were loaded from an asset bundle that required a trigger script, at runtime the FSM would find the game object, attach a script component to the GO, and set the script's requisite variables.

The larger question is where to pull the data for setting the variable values from. My guess is that some type of correlating JSON or XML file could be used, managed, most likely, via ArrayMaker, but I'm not sure if that's a viable option. I've used ArrayMaker before, and feel somewhat comfortable with it, but I haven't yet actually retrieved data from an external source.

Is any of this making sense?

memetic arts

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
<bump>

Wondering if there are any thoughts on this, I'd definitely appreciate any/all input on the topic.

Of course I realize people are traveling now as well, so Happy Holidays to all!!  <|;-)>  (that's the best I could do for a Santa emoticon)

memetic arts

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
Well, still no response on this, so I guess no harm done -- I've been working with AssetBundles for the past few days, and can confirm that the "No Script" rule as communicated by Unity Tech is a bit misleading.  You actually *can* bundle scripts, as long as they are attached-to and/or referenced by a prefab or other object in a scene AND as long as the referenced scripts are also present in the build of the "receiving" project, e.g. the one that the AssetBundles are being pulled-in to. You *can't* bundle "loose", unassociated scripts.

So, crisis averted, at least for my immediate needs . . . I retract my proposal above! :-)

And again, Happy New Year to all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:36:39 AM by memetic arts »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

That sounds like indeed you can't add a new script. Because if the script has to be in the build, than it means it was submitted to apple within the ipa, and then it's not a "new script"...

Bye,

Jean

memetic arts

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »
True, but I was relieved to find out that you could included scripts at all -- for a few days there I thought I was going to have to convert everything over to PM, which would not be a bad thing, of course  :) , but just would have taken a bunch of time that I wasn't initially planning on.

Also . . . I posted a question in the general help forum re: AssetBundles.  Please consider this a slight <bump> . . . I know you're working on the Assetbundle actions for 1.8, consider another huge vote for making those a reality. I've been trying to extend Unity's AssetBundle Manager scripts for LoadAllAssets, and it's not working out very well . . . giving it another go tonight, maybe I'll get lucky!

Cheers

dblincoeii

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »
Any new news on this?  Updates?  I'm having no luck with this.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 03:42:24 AM »
Hi,

I'll have to finish off the first phase of Unity Networking support before I dive into bundles properly.

Keep bumping please!! It will definitly happen.

Bye,

Jean