playMaker

Author Topic: do playmaker work with unity multiplayer networking?  (Read 9779 times)

alexlam127

• Playmaker Newbie
do playmaker work with unity multiplayer networking?
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »
i would like to make a multiplayer game on ios and android,
but i only have free version and i have very little knowledge in coding.
is it possible to make a multiplayer game with playmaker?

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: do playmaker work with unity multiplayer networking?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
Yes you can create a multiplayer game with Unity free (see licenses)
http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

However, I have just implemented the Photon Network which has had actions and an amazing tutorial created (find it on the wiki) which needs Unity Pro to work. Which I would recommend highly, only took a day to get to grips with it all and setup.

Red

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
Yep. if you want a good idea of the stock multiplayer options, the testlab on the playmaker wiki has some examples that you can use...

granted, that's only using the native Unity multiplayer options and not photon or other plug-ins... but if all you want is to get familiar with the concepts of networking then you can go that route without having to invest in a photon license.

That said, what you're aiming for will also be a factor because though the stock unity multiplayer options are good, they have their limits... so, maybe a little detail as to what you're hoping to achieve?

Vecna

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
 t
unity multiplayer options are good, they have their limits... 

What is it limits?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
Hi,

Well,

-- It's going to be replaced very soon ( already in private beta) by new system from Unity, so it's definitly not recommanded to dive to quick in to a big project using Unity Networking  as is.

-- The server side is totally unsupported and with very little serious system in place

-- it's behind in terms of features compared to asset store alternatives like photon or tasharen system and others.

-- documentation is poor and assume a serious understanding of networking before using it.

-- Pun+ ($99) allow you to build ames without Unity Pro, so you don't need Unity pro to build a networking game, you only need $99.

Bye,

Jean

wesleyd

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
Hi jean, i would like to make a multiplayer game, is it possible to have access to  the private beta ?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:58:34 AM »
Hi,

It's Unity's private beta, I don't have access to it myself yet, and requests should be  made directly to Unity.

Currently, I strongly suggest you use Photon, which is in my knowledge the best supported networking solution within PlayMaker right now and in the long terms as we have agreements with Exitgames for ongoing support.

Bye,

Jean