playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker and Grid Framework  (Read 6956 times)

HiPhish

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker and Grid Framework
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »
Hello

I'm the developer of Grid Framework, a general-purpose library for grid-based calculations and game mechanics, and one feature that has been requested time after time is support for Playmaker. I already bought Playmaker but I can't find any information on how to do extend it, there doesn't seem to be anything related to the topic in the manual. Could you please point me in the right direction? I would really want to add this feature to Grid Framework, it has been on my to-do list for quite a while.

kind regards
HiPhish

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker and Grid Framework
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Grid Framework looks very cool!

There are some docs here:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W166
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W127

Playmaker actions are very similar to MonoBehaviours. Probably the easiest way to get the hang of them is to look at the source code for actions that ship with Playmaker (PlayMaker/Actions). E.g., find an action similar to the one you want to make and look at the code...

If you need help, please don't hesitate to ask here :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:27:52 AM »
Hi,

Pm me to arrange some collaboration. I wrote quite a lot of the addons for PlayMaker, so I am sure I can help you out to get you started in the right direction.

Bye,

Jean

HiPhish

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
I sent you a PM a while ago, so I'm not sure if it arrived properly. I would be very interested to see what you have, and you will of course be given full credit. Thank you for your offer :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for bumping :) replied.

bye,

Jean

murteas

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
Did any custom actions get made for Grid? 

HiPhish

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
Still working on it; I'm not happy with the speed of my work either. A big problem is that I have a ton of actions and quite a lot of code-redundancy to wrestle (and other things to do as well, but that's not related to Grid Framework or Playmaker). I haven't been posting any updates on my blog for months because there really isn't anything to blog about, but the project is definitely not dead.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the update :)

I could maybe speed up the process if you have a base of action, I can review them and finish them if you want.

Bye,

Jean

HiPhish

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I think I should be through with most of the basic stuff. I need to go over it, apply some polish, give everything sensidble names instead of cryptic nonsense like FsmGFHSideMode and write the documentation. I'm not sure what to do from there, getters and setters are not very interesting by themselves, so I don't know if I should have a small release, but then again maybe it's better to give people something, even if it is not much, instead of nothing.

Another problem is the functions API, Grid Framework is a general-purpose framework and the API is very large, so there are  lot of methods for each class. There is 29 methods for the base grid class alone (a few of them are overloads), 17 methods for polar grids, 20 methods for hex grids, and luckily rectangular grids don't bring anything new to the table.

Maybe if C# had preprocessor macros like C does, then I could cut out the redundancy. The problem is that without methods the actions are not really useful, you'll want to do something with the values you get and set.

Also, I just noticed, there is no Vector4 FSM variable, but I need those for hex grids, one of the coordinate systems is four-dimensional.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
Hi,

MAybe a first step would be to support what you can afford in terms of time and features. If a grid can not be supported in PlayMaker because there is no vector4 support, then so be it, and mention it to Alex ( he knows anyway that there is an issue on that front to support more generic fsm).

also, to go around this limitation, I would simply create a class that can be then stored in FsmObject, then it can host whatever properties you want.

bye,

Jean