playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Platforming Kit  (Read 10342 times)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Playmaker Platforming Kit
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to share the current state of my platformer kit made 100% with Playmaker. If all goes well it should soon be on the asset store.

Please let me know what you think, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

DEMO: http://3dsauce.com/demos/platformkit.html
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
Re: Playmaker Platforming Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »
Looking awesome! A must buy!

May I request a wall climb mechanism like SMB. That would be great!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:44:48 AM by Flying Robot »

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:01 AM »
One aspect I found felt a little off was the in air direction change, having the character change direction while in air felt strange to me as I would expect the jump to stop moving forward rather than the character turning ... maybe check out Mario ... I could be wrong but there was something that is a little off. Otherwise it feels pretty tight, nice work!

parallel

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
Really nice, I like the mid air moving, maybe have it optional or tweakable? The 'moving platforms no problem' took me 3 minutes+ to pass, don't know if that's my unskilled platformer skills, probably is...

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
Thanks guys! I will definitely consider all requests and suggestions. So keep them coming.

Flying Robot: Can you please give me an example of the wall climb mechanic you are talking about?

LampRabbit: The mid air movement mechanic is actually taken directly from the Mario series. After playing a little though, I did notice that the mid air movement effect is diminished compared to the actual jump's velocity. I will be tweaking this in the next update, thanks for the tip!

parallel: I think having the option to toggle mid air movement on or off is a good idea. Some platformers use it, some don't. As for the platforms, I think after some tweaking in an actual game scenario, they would become more friendly. Maybe I should change it if others are having trouble at that part as well. Thanks for the input.

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Really great work!!

It felt natural and easy to play. I think the elevators were launching the character and the camera controller is a little funky at times like it isn't consistently at the same spot at each elevation, it seems to change when you pass a height but then you can drop down and not hit the next height marker for it to move down, so you get to where you can't see whats below.

But other than that its solid work.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »

Flying Robot: Can you please give me an example of the wall climb mechanic you are talking about?

One of the most famous indie game with this mechanics.

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Thanks Lane! You've actually hit the nail right on the head. The camera system was thrown together really quickly, as I just wasn't content with merely parenting a camera to the player. It definitely needs some love, but the core control mechanics are what I'm working on currently. Maybe I shouldn't include it if it's not quite perfected yet.

Check out this camera setup. It looks fantastic, but I haven't yet worked out a way to do something like it in Unity. http://blog.mimeoverse.com/post/581467761/the-ideal-platformer-camera-should-minimize

Any ideas?

Oh and Flying Robot, I've absolutely played Super Meat Boy. Thanks for the example, I'm just accustomed to hearing it referred to as "Wall Jumping." It's already on my features To Do list!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
That camera setup looks awesome. Definitely can't really just whip something up off the top of my head, its something you'd have to work on for a while to get working ideally. Almost a kit all in itself... Every game is different with its camera hookup so maybe spending a ton of time working on a really great camera system would kind of be pointless if the end user didnt want to implement it.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »
So sick! If this works nice on iOS, sign me up!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:59:58 AM »
Excellent!

Keep us updated.

Bye,

Jean

arwengrim

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Learning making games
    • LittleMonstr
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:02:39 AM »
Looks great. Will buy once it's released. Features I'd love to see: Wall jump, wall run/climb, rope swinging, ladder climbing, ledge catching/hanging.
I'm learning to make games. Please bare with me :)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
marcos: I have been wanting to test it on ios, but haven't had the time to implement virtual controls yet. I'll keep you updated.

arwengrim: Thanks for the suggestions, a few of these are already on my future features list. I will consider the rest.

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
Version 1.0 has just hit the Asset Store!

Please refer to the new thread from now on.