playMaker

Author Topic: Custom Editors for Actions impact editor responsiveness  (Read 2018 times)

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
  • All design, all the time.
Custom Editors for Actions impact editor responsiveness
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
Jean suggested I file a bug report for this, so here goes. 

Observed Result
Custom editors for PlayMaker Actions reduce editor responsiveness.  This is noticeable when you have enough actions (or properties) on a state to warrant a vertical scroll bar.

Repro Rate
In my editor, this is 100% of the time.

Repro Steps
This was tested using the example on this site for custom editors, found here.

1. Create the custom editor for the "Debug Float" action, as per the above link.
2. Add it to a state.
3. Add several other Actions of any type (that don't use custom editors) to the same state until a vertical scroll bar appears
4. Attempt to scroll and note how sluggishly the editor responds.
5. Collapse the Debug Float custom editor so that it's no longer visible.
6. Attempt to scroll and note that the editor is back to full responsiveness.

Additional Information
As a further test, I applied some Debug.Log calls in the code and it appears that the custom editor is calling a GUI refresh per frame every single time you move the mouse, regardless of whether or not you're actually interacting with the editor. 

My rig setup, in case it factors in somehow, is a standard dual-monitor setup of reasonable power running Windows 8.  I've observed this behaviour on both the primary and secondary monitor.  It has been tested with a bare minimum of processes running as well.  I try to be thorough.

To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't impacted other elements of the editor's responsiveness in any noticeable fashion yet.  It does, however, make me wary about employing too many custom editors for the custom actions I've been writing. 

Over a long enough time, even milliseconds matter to a schedule.   ;)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Custom Editors for Actions impact editor responsiveness
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
Hi,

Thanks, I'll look into this next week.

bye,

Jean