playMaker

Author Topic: Runtime consoles?  (Read 2891 times)

JennaReanne

• Junior Playmaker
    • Little Worlds Interactive
Runtime consoles?
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
I'm looking to implement some sort of a debugging console in my game so that QA testers can view and set variables (and maybe some other actions like spawning new monsters, etc).  Usually this is done with an in-game console where you can type in commands, and there are a few options on the Asset Store like Developer Console, but I couldn't find anything that hooked up to Playmaker.  Has anyone tried to implement something like this? 

Thank you!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Runtime consoles?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
Hi,

Not yet, but it's a good idea. Have you already "shop" for such console on the asset store? if you find something that you like, let us know and we can see what can be done to collaborate with that author and provide PlayMaker support.

bye,

Jean

JennaReanne

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
The one that I've been looking into is called Developer Console, you can see details here:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/138321-Developer-Console-RELEASED

It actually looks like it could be used pretty extensively without PlayMaker support.  It looks like you can use it to set any public variables at runtime.  I'll check it out and report back if it's worthwhile :)

IDontKnow

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:57 AM »
This may not provide the kind of depth you're looking for, but I've actually created a (very) simple developer console to use while I'm working on Pseudoburger.

It's just an FSM which opens a text field when I press the F1 key where I can enter a string.

The string is then examined for keywords and the appropriate actions are taken.

Right now I'm only using it to clear the PlayerPrefs and load new levels, but if you were clever about it you could handle many common debugging tasks in a similar way.

--

JennaReanne

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
Thank you zaskaggs, that's definitely worth a try!