playMaker

Author Topic: "Get Trigger Event" not working when on top of collider  (Read 3430 times)

Breadman

• Derp
"Get Trigger Event" not working when on top of collider
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
I have a large cube which is used in puzzles. It has a trigger attached to it - once the player pushes it or touches it, the FSM begins to fade the cube's opacity and eventually resets its position.

The large cube and FSM are parented to another invisible cube, which controls the physics and rigidbody of the puzzle cube. Everything works great, when the player pushes the cube from the side, it moves and starts to fade.

However, when the character is standing on top of the cube, the fade event doesn't trigger. I even made the collider unreasonably large to see if maybe the character collider just wan't intersecting with it, but still no luck. Do character colliders not sent collision events to colliders that are directly below them? Or perhaps I'm doing something else wrong?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: "Get Trigger Event" not working when on top of collider
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:42 AM »
Hi,

Not too sure, you are saying it's trigger on the same collider from the side but not the top?

bye,

Jean

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »
Yeah - the "trigger event" action fires an event properly when the character touches the collider from the side, but not from the top.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
Hi,

It's likely that your capsule collider is then not contacting at all, maybe your character has an offset in height? have you checked visually what's goind on? switch to a orth view in the scene view ( not the game view) and come really close to see where is the character collider compare to the top side of your trigger.

bye,

Jean

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »
Hi Jean,

I suspected that might be the case, and I made the top portion of the object's collider go way above the actual object, still no trigger detected, even though my character was basically inside of the collider area.

I will keep debugging :D

Grohowiak

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Did you find a solution?
I'm having a lot of issues with triggers in playmaker not registering events.

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:54:49 PM »
Hi Grohowiak,

No solution yet. I don't NEED the top-surface collision detection for my particular setup, but knowing that it's not working does bother me, even if I'll never need it. But, since it's more of a perfectionist issue than a performance issue, it's sort of low on the list of needed fixes. I'll update here if I find anything!!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
Hi,

@Grohowiak:

Your colliders game objects are likely not comfigured properly, try to add RigidBodies to the collider's gameobject, that will likely work then.

Bye,

Jean