playMaker

Author Topic: Adventure Creator style cam  (Read 3766 times)

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Adventure Creator style cam
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
Hiya! I'm in the process of prototyping a Quest for Glory style game and was hoping one of you awesome peeps can help me figure out how to accomplish this camera motion AC uses instead of smooth follow, how would I make it lead instead? And in addition would I need to send out a ray cast to detect if it hit any walls which would send an event to stop the cam? Any help would be awesome! Thx

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Re: Adventure Creator style cam
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
Hiya guys, failing miserably here haha... The cam just won't lead like in the vid I posted. I tried a few things like Get/Set position, smooth follow and even parenting to a GO but nothing yet, just wondering if I can get any guidance with trying to accomplish this... thx!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:47:53 PM by lildragn »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »
Hi,

Why not getting this kit? it looks amazing and simple enough.

you need to cut down your problem. and like the key to solve this is use a dummy.

have a dummy gameobject ( menu "Game Object/Create empty").

this is your "Camera platform" as I call it. attach the camera to this, and make the "camera platform follow the player. then your camera is followin because it's a child of this platform, and you can apply more logic for rotations and movements.

bye,

Jean

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Thanks Jean, I'll give that a try. And I was planning on getting the Adventure Creator, but I figured PM could handle it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »
Hi,

The ideal solution is to have cusotm action for PlayMaker and AC to work together. For the sake of learning, by all mean try to do it yourself, but when a solution exists already, you should embrace it and move on to the specific part of your game that is unique. This will save you time and frustration.

Contact the author of AC and explain your will to use it with PlayMaker, maybe he's already working on some custom action.

Bye,

Jean

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
You're absolutely correct  ;)

DuaneDog

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
I'm interested in this thread because I've worked quite a bit with both assets. My issue with Adventure Creator is it seems hard to use just part of that asset. It's like it wants to be the game rather than a toolkit that you bring into your own project.

For example I like the point to click move and the camera. I like the dialog and easy transition to the cut scenes. However I have no desire to use their menu system no desire to use their inventory system, or sound manager. I've got far better solutions for all of those components.

So while I'd love to use Adventure Creator I feel like it is an all or nothing proposition. Playmaker fits along side the other assets and components of a game more elegantly. Maybe I'm wrong here, so I would like to find out if someone has experience using perhaps just the camera, click to move, and dialog components of Adventure creator without any of the other cookie cutter stuff getting in the way.

All the best,
DuaneDog