playMaker

Author Topic: Physics and moving platform [SOLVED]  (Read 26510 times)

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
Re: Physics and moving platform
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
It's designed more for 2.5D so it has the 3D option but the code is specifically made for 2D. An option would be tearing it apart but that would take much time.

Graham, would your kit work in 3d?

This seems to be much more frustrating then I thought  :-\
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
sebaslive, I added a RigidBody to the platform and this helped a little in the fact that its stays on the platform BUT slides slightly for the first second but then moves with the platform.

Do you think the Velocity has something to do with it?

Thanks

Nick

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
From the tests I did, if you add a lot of mass to the player, around 1000 it wont move, but you would need to add a ton more force for it to jump and such.

It also appears to move a lot less based on how fast the platform is moving since it doesnt give it enough time to slide off.

Also, a ton of drag would have the same effect as the mass but again would require a ton more force.

I dont find these to be the best solutions but they work...ish
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
Yes sebaslive, my kit is in fact a 3d solution, just running on 2 axis'. If I knew why it works for me I would share, but I can't see what exactly I am doing differently.

I can tell you my character has a mass of 1.8, so I don't think upping the mass is a solution I would go with since it adds other issues.

Also, I can make my platforms go extremely fast and the character doesn't move an inch. Also my platforms do not have a rigidbody.

The only other thing I can point out is, my platforms move using the "iTween Move To" action. You say you move yours with velocity?
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
Graham have you tried this without your kit?

I'm using the 'itween move to' as well.

Creating a new scene with no custom scripts or addons included and my platform still behaves the same. If you don't mind could you create a test scene so I could compare settings to yours?

Seems like the only way to see whats happening with our setup.

Thanks

Nick

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:31 AM »
Hi Sebaslive,

Not heard back from Graham but i have been testing and thought i would try and move the platform without using iTween.

I used Translate and did a ping pong motion using C# and did the same process again and found that the player sticks to the platform now. I had to make the moving platform kinematic and have the platform move using FixedUpdate.

Maybe there is something wrong with iTween?

Nick

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Sorry coxy, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I do use iTween on mine, it doesn't cause any issues here.

You mention having to set the platform as kinematic. My platforms do not use a rigidbody component! Maybe that is your issue.

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
Hi graham. I've tried it without a RigidBody but it behaves the same with iTween. That's why I was after a test scene to compare. No worries if you haven't got time..

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Hi graham,

Just wondered if you have had any time to take a look?

cheers

nick

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
No I haven't, a lot of overtime lately. If you wanna send me your scene though I can take a look. It's quicker than making one from scratch myself.

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
Hi, Ive attached it

Thanks for taking your time to look :)

Nick

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
Hey Nick,

I played with your scene for a little while, unfortunately I don't know what's wrong with it and I'm not able to go much deeper into it right now.

Sorry,
Graham

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »
OK thanks anyway Graham

Would be interesting to know what's different in your games setup.

But i think iTween has got a problem with using FixedUpdate (realtime) feature?

Nick

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »
Not sure if you noticed, but the entire project is available on the Unity Asset Store.

You can always dissect it to see what you are able to find out.

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 03:30:21 AM »
Not sure if you noticed, but the entire project is available on the Unity Asset Store.

You can always dissect it to see what you are able to find out.

Hi, ive finally got around to looking over your project and i cant see what the difference is? strange. Would be great if someone had a sample scene with it working.