playMaker

Author Topic: Install issues with WP8 addon [SOLVED]  (Read 17768 times)

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
Install issues with WP8 addon [SOLVED]
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
Hello,

I'm just starting with Playmaker. I create a new, empty Unity v4.3.4f1(Free) project. I import Playmaker v.1.7.7.1. I press play and everything complies correctly.

Then I import Playmaker Windows Phone Addon v.1.7.7.6 and I get a compile error:

Code: [Select]
Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/NetworkGetMessagePlayerProperties.cs(53,63): error CS1061: Type `HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmEventData' does not contain a definition for `Player' and no extension method `Player' of type `HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmEventData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
What am I doing wrong? The website install instructions state to install Playmaker, then the Addons. That is what I have done.

Help please.
-David
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:10:23 AM by drswoboda »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Install issues with WP8 addon
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:02:35 AM »
Did you switch the build platform to Windows Phone 8?

Windows Phone 8 does not support Unity networking so it is removed from the Playmaker dll. The networking actions detect the current build platform. So if you switch to Windows Phone 8 the compile errors should go away... Or you can delete the networking actions if you're not using them in your project...

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:54:38 AM »
Hi Alex,

Yes, you're right, I had not set the platform correctly.

But, I'm still having issues. I can load and run non-Playmaker code on my Phone (Lumia 1020) just fine.

But Playermaker seems to be having issues or setup steps that I have not followed.

New scene with Playmaker and WP8 Addon. Put a sphere in scene. Add simple FSM. Start state called color. Add Set Material Color. Set to RED.

Run in on PC. Sphere turns red and I see the debug icons showing the state conditions.

Build and run to phone. Project loads without errors. Ball is still gray. No debug icons in scene.

Build and run in Developement Build mode. Scene loads. Left half of screen is filled with text that to small to read and ball is still gray.

It does not appear that Playmaker is running when building to phone.

It's too late and I'm too green to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions? (or should I find a new career :) )
-David

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:01:50 AM »
I forgot to mention something.

In the Actions Browser, under Device, there is an action called:
Get iPhone Settings.

?? Why would that be there for WP8? Do I have the correct software. I bought it through the Unity Store.

-David

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
I have hit a dead end getting Playmaker and WP8 working.

I can build, install and run non-Playmaker code to my Lumia 1020.

I have re-downloaded both Playmaker v1.7.7.1 and WP8 Addon v.1.7.7.6 from the Unity Store. I have created a new project and Imported Playmaker without Networking. Then import Addon.

I make a very simple scene as described in previous post. It runs in the Desktop UI.

When I build I get this msg:
Game scripts or other custom code contains OnMouse_ event handlers. Presence of such handlers might impact performance on handheld devices.
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

When I build and run. I get no error messages, but the install to phone fails without messages. It blanks the screen for a moment and then returns to WP8 App List.

Last night I had it loading and running on phone, but Playmaker functions  and Debug Icons did not work or display. I'm clueless as to why last night I at least got it to the phone, and today I can't. I have deleted reinstalled and deleted many project attempts, and don't have the projects from last night. I guess I could dig in the trash for them, but I kept using the same directory names, so I doubt I can get them back.

As stated above, I have reinstalled the entire system (except Unity) MANY times now.

Is this WP8 Addon "ready for primetime?"

I don't see a lot of activity for WP8 in the forums, so I guess the installed user base is pretty small. Some people have it working. But I can't get this working.

I need some help and guidance.

Thank you,
-David

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 02:15:47 AM »
What version of Unity are you using?

There is this issue:

NOTE: There is a bug in Unity 4.3.3 and 4.3.4 described here:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/223065-Unity-4-3-3-Type-GetMembers%28BindingFlags%29-crash

To fix this, you can either downgrade to 4.3.2 or try the workaround described by Unity in the forum thread.

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
Getting frustrated
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
Hello,

I have installed the v4.3.2f1 version of Unity.

I have tried the same SIMPLE project as stated above. I get the EXACT same results.

Project runs in Desktop UI.
Project Builds with this message:
Game scripts or other custom code contains OnMouse_ event handlers. Presence of such handlers might impact performance on handheld devices.
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

I have added NO scripts.
Scene has 1 sphere with a the simple FSM as described above.

Build and Run to Lumia 1020 silently fails on deploy. The screen goes black for a moment, then returns to normal phone screen. NO error messages.

Action Browser>DEVICE still has listed "Get iPhone Settings," which seems to indicate I have the wrong setup or a mistake in programing the WP8 Addon.

I bought Playmaker with the intent to publish to WP8.

Non-Playmaker projects Build, Deploy and Run successfully on the phone.

I really need some guidance here.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:16:36 AM »
The OnMouse_ warning is a relatively new performance warning in Unity. It shouldn't break anything in the build.

The Get iPhone Settings action is part of the standard Playmaker install.

Your install procedure seems correct.

I don't have access to my windows 8 dev machine right now, but I'll check this asap.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
Hi,

I am too struggling with this, I can't find anything currently to make it work:

-- I tried to switch to .net api compatibility level ( as opposed so a sub set), but it doesn't help.

-- I tried the latets beta of PlayMaker and the problem is also present.

the error is the following:

'TaskHost.exe' (CLR C:\windows\system32\coreclr.dll: Silverlight AppDomain): Loaded 'C:\windows\system32\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.ni.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
A first chance exception of type 'System.MissingMethodException' occurred in Unknown Module.
Exception: Method not found: 'System.Reflection.FieldInfo[] System.Type.GetFields(System.Reflection.BindingFlags)'.
Type: System.MissingMethodException
Module: PlayMaker
InnerException: <No Data>
AdditionalInfo:<No Data>
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ReflectionUtils.GetPublicFields(Type type)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetFields(Type actionType)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.GetActionTypeHashCode(Type actionType)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.CreateAction(FsmState state, Int32 actionIndex)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.ActionData.LoadActions(FsmState state)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState.get_Actions()
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState.ActivateActions(Int32 startIndex)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState.OnEnter()
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm.EnterState(FsmState state)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm.SwitchState(FsmState toState)
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm.UpdateStateChanges()
   at HutongGames.PlayMaker.Fsm.Start()
   at PlayMakerFSM.Start()
   at PlayMakerFSM.UnityFastInvoke_Start()

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Runtime/Scripting/WinRTUtility.cpp Line: 65)

Bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
Hi,

Currently investigating reverting back to older version of Unity as well, but that'll take a bit of time, hopefully with results in few hours.

bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Hi,

ok, I can confirm that publishing to windows 8 phone works with Playmaker, as per stick note:

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=6321.0

Let's degub your situation further:

what do you mean by this?
Project runs in Desktop UI.

what's "desktop ui"?

Can you build "only" the project ( not build and run) and then open the generated visual studio project and run it as a debug build and see what's outputed there? I think we willg et more info this way.

Bye,

Jean

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
Hi Jean,

"Project runs in Desktop UI"
I meant that it runs in Unity's UI using the Play button.

I will try to get some time tomorrow and look at the Debug build in Visual Studio. It might be a few days though as I am watching the Live Stream from Microsoft Build for the next couple of days.

Thanks,
-David

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
Hi,

ok, let us know about your progress on this. Thanks.

bye,

Jean

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
Status Report 1
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
I have built the project and looked at it in VS2013 Ultimate.

FYI, I am not a expert at debugging, so I'll need assistance with this.

In VS I told it to rebuild the project, and got one error msg.
Error 1 The name "LocalizedStrings" does not exist in the namespace "clr-namespace:Playmaker". C:\Users\DavidR\Documents\Unity Projects\v4.3\Playmaker_BASE_WP8\VS.Build\Playmaker\App.xaml 1 1 Playmaker

I then went to "Start Debuggin"
It built and attempted to deploy, and silently failed. It went right back to the phone start screen after a very brief BLACK screen. One difference this time was that I saw for a split second, the Unity loading screen, then black and back to phone Start Screen.

The debugger in VS is still running but there is no data in the in the Call Stack or the Immediate Window.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that it does deploy the app to the phone. But when you try to run the app, you get the failure to load, black screen and back to phone Start Screen.

Suggestions?
-David
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:31:19 AM by drswoboda »

drswoboda

• Playmaker Newbie
Status Update: SUCCESS!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
I just spent the past couple hours reinstalling Playmaker a half dozen times, and I'm happy to report that it is finally WORKING!

I have at least 6 saved projects that are BORKED, but the sun came out and eased my pain, and the last install actually works.

I did two things different with this last install. I have no idea if they made the difference or not, I'm too happy to care right now.

In the previous installs I had used the Unity Store to do the installs, using my user download area and the import button. This last time I imported the base Playmaker at the time I created the project using the list of available packages at creation time. Then I imported the WP8 Addon from the menu option.

Secondly, I had been deleting the Networking Assets directory. This time I also deleted the Playmaker Network Actions.

I rebuilt the simple FSM and published and it worked. Yikes, what a roller coaster ride.

So I dropped back to Unity v4.3.2, and it is my understanding that I need to stay at this version until Unity makes some fixes, correct?

Also, I still see the warning about mouse events, which is annoying, but not a problem, correct?

And finally, the Action>Device>iPhone Settings is by design, correct?

The first thing I have done now is to export a WORKING package of the Playmaker Install. I will use this package to start new WP8 projects.

Thank you,
-David