playMaker

Author Topic: Archer Adventure (Android)  (Read 3322 times)

pixelrainbow

• Playmaker Newbie
Archer Adventure (Android)
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
Hey,

I'd like to show my first Android game, which I plan to give for a (hopefully) last beta test to friends & family and release in the Play Store in the coming weeks.

The game: more casual, player needs to hit a target in currently 3 scenes with various game mechanic (still target / back&forth moving target / flying target, always from a fixed standpoint -> didn't have to create huge levels or 360 degree views). At the moment 3 special, magic items can be won to ease hitting targets. There are some lines of description for each scene to explain why the player is there and to do what, but if people will like the game I absolutely intend to add not only more scenes but also some kind of back story, including intro movie and/or cut scenes based on still drawings (with the help of a pro gfx artist of course).

Technical stuff:
  • FPS is so high because screens are of course from the editor, but on my relatively old Samsung S2 (I-9100G) the game is running with 45-60 FPS.
  • Load time of levels sits between 5 to ca. 20-25 seconds now (I still have to find out how to optimize a huge FBX file which is for the real dragon, and is packed with various animations).
  • I did much optimization with the stuff I got from the Unity Asset Store, mainly had to set default shaders to mobile alternatives or lower texture size when necessary. And although the 'non-pro' Unity Android also sports now dynamic shadows, I have found it best to stick to baked lightmaps to gain performance.
  • When it comes to Playmaker, I created only a very few (maybe 4-5) custom actions, everything else was achieved by the supplied actions (incl. add-ons like the one for Input.Touches).
  • The game's GUI is also built exclusively on Playmaker's supplied actions. Not so long ago I have bought DFGUI, but I have decided not to learn it and replace current actions completely, as I'd really like to release asap without further delays.

Well, that's it, I am still ahead of creating promo material (incl. short video), fixing gfx and creating some more to fill the UI (I am no artist, as you can see, haha...) but I am close to finish this initial version...

Please be gentle with criticism, but it's definitely appreciated, as this is why I show it anyway. :)

Greets to all the indie devs out there!
Tom

coffeeANDsoda

Re: Archer Adventure (Android)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:04 AM »
I thought this looks pretty neat.

pixelrainbow

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Archer Adventure (Android)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:34 AM »
I thought this looks pretty neat.

Thank you. I'm really grateful to all the artists who release their work on the Asset Store, it makes building scenes/worlds so much easier.

Some more visuals attached. Game is available already in Germany and Hungary, with more countries joining soon.