playMaker

Author Topic: Will there be a new version with Unity 5?  (Read 2354 times)

Kensei

• Playmaker Newbie
Will there be a new version with Unity 5?
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »
Hi, I'm considering purchasing playmaker, but from the FAQ I read that all 1.X version updates are free. However with Unity 5 just around the corner, I don't think it's a good idea to buy it and then have to buy it again after 4 months. Basically I'd like to know if Playmaker 2.x is in the works, so that I know what to do.

TBrayner

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Will there be a new version with Unity 5?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
I think that they will release a Playmaker 2, but Playmaker will be compatible with unity 5 also.

Kensei

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Of course there will be Playmaker 2, i just want to know if there is a release planned for Unity 5. My point is I don't wanna buy a tool and then 2 months later find out that it's obsolete.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:27 AM »
Hi,

I haven't heard anything about a PlayMaker 2 release. Unity 5, as all major first release is really something I would strongly encourage not to rush with, especially for real world projects.

Always wait x.1 or x.2 before you actually use it for real, cause you won't be able to revert back if something doesn't work yet. Unity 3 and Unity 4 where in that position. I only started using 4 in production after 4.2 really...

Now if you are playing about and learning, then yes, embrace all the incredible stuff Unity 5 will offer as soon as you can!!

I would think that it's safe to get what you want know and not save for a possible new version of PlayMaker.

Bye,

Jean

Kensei

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »
I spose I'll just refrain from PM for now and just finish my game in code. I really like the idea though and I will be getting it after Unity 5. I figure if there's no PlayMaker 2 for the new version, then there won't be one until another major update.