playMaker

Author Topic: What does playmaker output?  (Read 3368 times)

snortch

• Playmaker Newbie
What does playmaker output?
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
I'm thinking that this question has been asked before, but I searched and was unable to find the answer:

- What does PlayMaker output? Does it output Unity javascript or is it outputting C# or something else?

I'm wondering this because I've been playing with uScript and was disappointed to discover that it outputs C#. This is disappointing to me because C# is a huge programming language that I am not likely to grasp anytime soon.

I was hoping to use uScript in a way that it would allow me to build portions of logic that I didn't know how to script and then pop into the Unity JS file and write the parts that I know how to script.

Maybe this is a naive idea, but I'm wondering if this kind of workflow might be possible with PlayMaker?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: What does playmaker output?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
Hi,

Custom Actions is the way to go! you'll love it.

Basically, Playmaker doesn't output anything, it's an engine that process your Fsm at runtime, there is not "compilation" or "publishing" involved, you design fsms in Unity, and when you press play, they are executed.

PlayMaker is done in c#, and the building blocks are "actions", you use them in states to create the logic and do things.

in your case, what will happen is that you will use PlayMaker and existing actions to do all the usual work, and when you want your own piece of code, then you would create a custom action and use that code within an action context.

To write custom actions, it's easy, simply open existing actions and study how they are working. you can also check the online help for more details.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W166

Bye,

Jean

snortch

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the response Jean - very helpful. I followed the link in your post and noticed this entry:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W542

Is it possible to write a custom action in Unity JS? That link just indicates that this topic needs to be written...But that makes me wonder whether it is even possible??

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »
Hi,

yep, it's possible, not a problem.

bye,

Jean

snortch

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Another question for Jean or anyone else:

I've been watching this video:

When he selects an action like he does at 13:43 - are these actions named the same as Unity would name them if I were to use Unity Script? I'm hoping that they are, because that would help me when I have to write Unity Script. It would help because then it would get me started with what to type.

One of the downsides I have discovered with uScript is that most of the blocks it uses arent correlated with the syntax you would use in either Unity Script or C#. Thats a real showstopper for me, because uScript isnt really helping me to become more Unity Script capable when I have to use it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 03:48:38 AM »
Hi,

no, PlayMaker actions do not necessarly or have to be named excactly with the Unity method it use. Simply because some can use several unity call, beause they are more complex and solve a problem with many internal functions.

Bye,

Jean