playMaker

Author Topic: Serial com ports  (Read 4347 times)

husam

• Playmaker Newbie
Serial com ports
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
Hello,
I'd like to have serial port functions added to playmaker:
  • Check available com ports by name
  • Open com port
  • Close com port
  • Write out a string to the device
  • Wait until there is something to read either by character count or specify a string token as a trigger
  • Read string

Thank you,

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Serial com ports
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Hi,

What is the device you are plugin into the serial port?

Creating these kind of actions would be really interesting, but some hardware is needed to develop this.

bye,

Jean

husam

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
I'm using IR clickers used in schools to collect students feedback. (picture attached)

You plug in the receiver in a USB port and every student gets a clicker. Each clicker has a number and buttons A trough H. They click to answer questions or to play games.

Note that the clickers send a single string per click (8 characters long), so its not a continuous feed.

Using the clickers, I write nothing to the receiver. Just open the com port its on and read the stings coming from the clickers.

I've developed games that utilize those clickers using Adobe Director and Flash.
Now that I'm moving to Unity, I'd like to be able to read from com ports to open up new possibilities.

Let me know what you need.
Thanks again for your prompt response :)

MS80

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
I am interested in this action, too!
Often sensors or custom input devices uses the com port (f.e distance laser).

@ husam: sounds interesting and dedicated! Your students are lucky ones!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:03:30 PM by MS80 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
Hi,

I  can commit to support serial port, but I'll need a concrete hardware to be used to test and guarantee that what I am providing works. So pm me to arreng things up to get serial port accessible from PlayMaker.

bye,

Jean

Ghettokon

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
Hi Jean

I would like to pick up this thread again. I look it up in Ecosystem browser and didn't find any plug-in for Serial Communication. I am using STYLY and Playmaker in my class this semester. I thought it will be really cool to have Playmaker to send and read serial data from Adruino so I can have students build their own custom game controllers for VR experiences. Would you magically tell me the plug-in already existed since 2014? If not, how can I help you to make it happen?

best,