playMaker

Author Topic: King's Men Demo + Kickstarter!  (Read 4424 times)

Breadman

• Derp
King's Men Demo + Kickstarter!
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
Hey everyone!

I've been working on a puzzle platformer called King's Men, which is powered by PlayMaker! My Kickstarter campaign was recently approved, and part of the campaign is a playable demo of the game.

None of this would be possible without PlayMaker, so I'm hoping the project is successful and I can finish the game to show the world how important PlayMaker is!

If you're interested, please take a look and try the demo!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brendanfarrell/kings-men-0

jess84

Re: King's Men Demo + Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
Looking good!

I was wondering though, why are you going for a Unity Pro licence?

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The license will let me use camera effects, rendering features, etc. It will also allow me to sell the game independently, or on Steam greenlight, itch.io, etc!  ;D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:10:26 AM »
Hi,

Good luck with this!!

Bye,

Jean

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
Thank you Jean!

At least 30% of the game is possible because of you helping me here on the forums haha. If the project is successful, I'll owe some of that success to you!  :P

jess84

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »
Ah, okay, I get the  shader concerns.

What do you mean about getting it on greenlight though...  How does the free version of Unity prevent people from publishing on any format?  (other than having the mandatory splash screen shown)?

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
Looks cool man, any reason why you don't offer the demo in a webplayer? Would lessen the steps for potential customers imo. I will be trying it tonight anyways, just saying.  :)
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
You're right, Jess, Unity doesn't have any limits on publishing thankfully. That's how I made the demo available! The problem becomes selling the game. Without the software license, any sale of the game would be illegal :(

Graham, that's definitely crossed my mind. I've used web player for smaller prototypes before, but for some reason I prefer the experience of opening an executable and playing it that way. If more people express interest, I have no problem uploading a web version as well :D

jess84

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
I'm not sure where you're getting that infomation from?

(Unless your entity made $100k last year of course)

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq#section-451

Making and selling games with Unity
Yes you can create and sell a game with the free version of Unity, without paying royalties or any revenue share. However, the free version of Unity may not be licensed by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, non-profit or government entity with an annual budget of over US$100,000.

Please also be aware that the feature set of the free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content. Lastly, games made with our Pro trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes.

Are there royalties or a per-title fee
No, Unity does not charge on a per title basis and you do not pay royalties or pay revenue share, even for games and applications made with the free version.

Breadman

• Derp
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
I wasn't aware that sales under $100K/yr were permitted with the free version. That's definitely good to know! Thanks a ton for bringing that up!

I think, still, that I'd like the pro license for the rendering features (and I suppose adding in my own splash screen would be nice). I used the trial and I really enjoyed what I saw. Perhaps if the project is unsuccessful, I could re-submit it without the Unity license component and lower the overall goal. I would still need a Maya license no matter what :P