playMaker

Author Topic: Need tips for creating a Strategy Game.  (Read 3125 times)

Abdou23

• Playmaker Newbie
Need tips for creating a Strategy Game.
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Hello

I am a beginner programmer, i learned programming in order to create games,the idea i have in mind is a game like "Democracy" or "Plague Inc." I have worked with SpriteKit and very familiar with it. But switched to unity for it's Visual Editor and the ability to deploy to several platforms, Also for Playmaker ;)

The main question here is what is the best approach in order to make a strategy game like that ? is there a guid here or something i can check ? or is anyone here have some experience that wouldn't mind to share ? Also is it possible to create this game using Playmaker ? you know to save time and effort writing tons of code.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Need tips for creating a Strategy Game.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
I don't think there are any specific guides for that, those games are very data driven.

It's really not terribly difficult to do, most of the game is handled on the back end. Plague Inc you barely see more than the world map and the upgrade menu that is quite simplistic. Everything that really composes the game is data driven on the backend with minimal feedback to the world map for you to see during the game really.

Its similar to the way other games manage things, the Plague is basically a stack of stats that you can upgrade by spending some points, and the game plays off that data, like probability of an infected country infecting across a land border, or sending infection via plane/boat. Its just a roll of the dice every time the event comes around to be calculated as yes/no all based on the country's stats against the plague's stats and upgrade numbers.

Playmaker does fine with stuff like that, have you checked out the beginner tutorials and stuff yet? You should be able to get going with something simple after learning how to read/share data between fsm's.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D