playMaker

Author Topic: limited size for State name.  (Read 5118 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
limited size for State name.
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:38 AM »
Hi,

As I am writing almost plain english codes with Playmaker ( fantastic!), I find very constraining that there is a limit in the length of state's name. Not willing to write a whole paragraph of course, but sometimes to really express the singularity of the state, I have to write less comprehensive and prone to misunderstanding states, and then write the same in the info section, which really is a duplicate of the state name but with two or three more words. This is especially needed since you can't have duplicates so you need to find unique names. I am coming here from a shared project point of view where not just me is looking at this and work is being monitored, and acknowledge by the client which is a developer also. So the more I can properly express myself within the fsm States and events, the better and less obscur my work is. PLaymaker already greatly help towards this ease of comprehension, I just wish I could have longer states name :)

example:

"Load needs to be lifted off the floor" is very close to the max you can write on a state. But sometimes I have to write
"Elevator Jaws engage forward to the delivery location" and that is impossible. Also it doesn't feel to me like such a long Statement, and really helps making the whole fsm more readable as you glance through and follow the process live.

Could they not wrap onto a second line? I think that it would look quit ok.

This could maybe part of a bigger plan to allow for visual flexibility in the fsm view.

Have a good day :)

Jean

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
Re: limited size for State name.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:44 AM »
What about putting the extra info in the comments section? That's what I do, and it appears under the headline of the state. You have lots more characters to use.

Your idea is not bad though, but that's what I do.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:56 AM »
Hi,

Yes, that's what I do, but that's not ideal and is not as readable.

Bye,

Jean

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:50 AM »
Hmm, you are completely entitled to your opinion of course but it's right underneath the headline? If it's easy for them to implement, I say why not but if it takes away time from other more important things then I'd rather them prioritize other more important organizational features. Here's one of my examples.