playMaker

Author Topic: IOS publishing  (Read 12787 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
IOS publishing
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:47 PM »
So i am just setting myself up for iOS publishing.. I don't quite get it. I tried a simple Hello World project but got a bunch of errors.. some from PlayMaker... i have no idea why.

I am going to try the Penelope Tutorial which is the only one i can find but is there anything else i should look at first?

It seems that i build to Xcode and then maybe i use the Xcode utilities to publish to the iPad? No idea. I will do more reading tonight.

But if anyone has any gems to get me started that would be awesome. Even a simple project to publish would be pretty cool.

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: IOS publishing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:04:32 AM »
Hi,

can you describes or paste the errors you get? that will help diagnostic

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
You shouldn't need to mess with Xcode once you have Provisioning set up for your device. There are step by step guides on the Apple iOS Developer portal. It's fairly easy, but if something goes wrong it can get really frustrating! Then google is your friend :)

Once your device is setup, and Xcode sees it, in Unity you should be able to switch to the iOS in Build Settings, load one of the PlayMaker device samples (PlaymakerSamples/TestLab/Device/) and hit Build and Run.

But like Jean said, it would be good to see the errors you're getting...

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
Thanks Guys.. It turned out i should have been in bed instead of working as i have been sick every since.. Anyway.

I did get a box and light kind of hello world app on my ipad.. I had a few of the iOS things messed up i think. I still seem to have to hit play in the xcode window before it goes to the iPad. Is that normal? Pretty sure i was using Build and Run. But i will check that tomorrow maybe.

Ughhhhh i cant believe that i did not look under the playMaker examples for one.. i was looking for a general example from Unity for iOS and could not find one for some reason.. except for the Penelope which will build and run but does not work past the intro. Once i click on the menu it just goes to somewhere.. i dont know where.... But anyway i did get a simple project to run so that was awesome!!

Here are the simple things i learned which were just due to my not knowing what i was doing:

I had the Provisioning set up but i did not have the name put into Unity under player prefs.

Under build i clicked on the different Build type but i had not clicked the change Platform type button..

I think something else but am tired and cant remember.

Thanks again. I may have more questions but i will definitely go with the playMaker examples. Damn i wish i knew they were there. I partly blame my Mac.. not a mac guy and when i do searches for unity projects i get all kinds of files that are not .unity   i meant to search on my PC but did not. Oh well

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
Ok this may not or may be related to my problems..

I just did some updates on my Mac like updating to Lion because my iTunes update told me i had to which i thought was weird but i was meaning to anyway so i did that etc.. Updated Unity as well...

Now i built a new project to try my iOS stuff with and when i import playMaker my standard edit windows dont work and i have no PlayMaker menu at the top?

I also can not seem to connect to the Asset store?

Is this something that anyone can comment on? Do i have to reinstall unity or something?

Oh and if in this state i try to publish one of the playMaker examples i just get errors like Object does not support slicing from ThirdPersonController.js and other errors.. And variables do not exist etc.

Q
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:16:06 AM by qholmes »

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
Hey i opened an old project and everything works fine.. asset store even..

Going to make a new project and try again. Maybe something wrong with that project?

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
So Menus were still not working but made new project and imported Playmaker from my files instead of from asset store which lists 1.1.1 as its version i think? Why is that? Should it not be 1.2.1?

After doing all that i think i have something that will work...

Just tried the asset store again in this project and it says i am off line again.. i  am on the internet etc.. this is frustrating.

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »
Ok so i seemed to have something working with no errors in Unity.. Although my Asset store is still not working.

I build for iOS and it goes into xcode where i have to hit play still.. not sure if that is correct. But it worked for my simple project the other day. It says Build successful but when it goes into Running project on iPad it dies with errors of Thread 1: Program received signal " "SIGABRT"

Any ideas?

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
Roller ball did not work. Touch Count worked though

Get Device Roll does not work.

Shake works although i really have to shake it super hard.. kind of scary like. But i can change the threshold so no biggie

Get location works

have to run.

maybe it is something to do with the iPad 1 and iPad2 differences? i am using iPad 2 although i do have a 1 as well but can i figure out how to get it connected to my mac..heheeh

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
Touch info test does not work either.

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
So i started to play with Unity Remote as i think that will be handy. Now the update is terrible.. Picture on the iPad not the input to my Mac.. I have good wireless here. so not sure what is with that. But anyway it works fine with the Unity Remote.. talking about RollBall now. Then i try a build and it works fine too... So something about running it first on with Unity Remote.. not sure.

When running it with Unity Remote the ball stops moving or taking input from gravity for some reason. But the variables all change properly.

So not sure what all my little issues are about but i think i might be off to some kind of a start. I just need to do a big geometry test to see if i have any issues before building a framework for my next project. Hoping for good things. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year!

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »
Could it be that it needed a playMaker GUI that i noticed it added when i ran it local?

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
Hi qHolmes.

you are having some odd issues with ios publishing. touch info ought to work for example. Have you checked the samples provided by Unity like the penelope project and similar? this is your first stop to have fun with IOS.

Or are you saying touch info doesn't work within playmaker?

Unity remote: the rendering quality on the device is bad because it's only a stream from Unity own game view. you can switch it off since anyway, unity remote is only there to allow to get touch infos, at which i'ts not 100% accurate nor reliable, so really unity remote is only here to validate the basics, publishing on the device is mandatory for any major feature added regards touch handling, new models textures, material works etc, to watch for perfs, framerate, memory warning,  similar things impossible to witness on your mac.

Bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
Yes have been having quite a few strange issues.. no idea why. I was really wondering about my install and if i needed to wipe it out and start over but not sure how to do that on my mac.

But most of the features seem to be working now in my custom project so i think it had something to do with the slightly older example projects..

Like i said the Penelope project only half worked for me.. Although now that i have learned more maybe i should try it again.. could have been user error. lots of that here...

Testing EZ gui at the moment or about too..

Then a big geometry test.

Yes i read all the stuff on the Unity Remote about the quality etc.. too bad it does not work a little better as it would really cut down on the time it takes to upload to the iPad which takes longer then i thought it would. But normally i guess unless i am trying to trace down an error that wont really be that often.. no idea how it will work out. Only time will tell.

Thanks for checking in on my Blog Jean!

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
Here is an actual question i think..

What is a good practice for doing touch manipulation:

I was going to do a Touch Event to check for an event and then transition to use Get Touch Info so that i could rotate a camera? Or should i just use Get Touch info and update every frame? It might all become clear when i finish this test. But i was excited that i might have an intelligent question.

Q