playMaker

Author Topic: does playmaker introduce overhead?  (Read 5145 times)

gronk33

• Playmaker Newbie
does playmaker introduce overhead?
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
This is a noob question since I'm not (yet) a playmaker purchaser. But does playmaker introduce any penalties perfomance-wise or memory wise in published executables? It looks like an amazing tool to me. I'd just like to make sure that before I buy it I'm aware of any any limitations.

As an aside are there other limitations that playMaker has over just using javascript?

Thanks!

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
Re: does playmaker introduce overhead?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt because it's hearsay, but I believe they said in one test the difference was 48 fps -> 40 fps. Whether that's significant and how it scales I don't know. It is a good question that I think everyone is curious about.

gronk33

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
Thanks. I guess for $100 (if it's still selling for that) I could give it a shot and post some results.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
Check out the FAQ: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W541

There is also overhead in the editor, so be sure to test in a standalone build...

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
Hi,

Yes, don't rely on the performance during editing, and check regularly how it performs when published. That true not just for playmaker but any thing you do with Unity ( and generally speaking for any framework).

Basically, as always, It's a trade and balance between how fast and reliably you can achieve the desire result over how it will performs. If a system allows me great productivity and flexibility at the cost of few frames per secs: Deal as far as I am concerned. Then of course, DO-IT-ALL-IN-PLAYMAKER die hard will require careful profiling. But it's likely that in 99% of cases, playmaker overhead will be completely minimal and likely irrelevant compare to draw calls optimizations, GUI optimizations and physics optimizations.

Bye,

Jean

gronk33

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
Very helpful. Thank you!