playMaker

Author Topic: Unity Networking [ALPHA] [JULY 2016]  (Read 5729 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Unity Networking [ALPHA] [JULY 2016]
« on: July 19, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,

So, with the hope that Unity Networking is only going to get better and eventually become a viable/affordable solution, please find early alpha packages for working with Unit Networking and Lobby system with PlayMaker. They will be moved to the Ecosystem when they will go out of alpha.

There are still many odd concepts I can not get my head around it, and the current available samples are not enough to get a clear view of all the various cases possible with ownership, authorization, etc etc, so please give feedback on your cases, and also make sure you read all the Unity Networking doc before even opening the packages, it's not like Photon, it's an advanced networking system.

You can find the packages to download here

SAN stands for "Standard Assets Networking", which is a package available on the Asset store and wraps a nice Lobby system, ready made for you so you can concentrate on the game itself before talking a custom lobby. I may likely rename it, because it's original version started as potentially making it in the standard assets, but the second version seems it's going to stay on the Asset store as is ( probably because not fit for the standard assets, which is not a good I think).

You can clone this repository to get the latest version of everything including the meteroid sample ported to PlayMaker. I'll make a special package for the meteroid sample when it will 100% covered, right now, I am left with the hanlding respawning and few small bugs with bullets. The rest is ready basically.

Feedback is more and welcomed. Make sure you read the doc again and again tho, because most of the infos is available, just difficult to dig and summarise in a comprehensive way...

Bye,

Jean

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:58:58 AM by Alex Chouls »

rik

Re: Unity Networking [ALPHA] [JULY 2015]
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
can you make a demo

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Re: Unity Networking [ALPHA] [JULY 2015]
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
Hi,

Yep, the demo is almost done. Hopefully, this will be wrapped up before end of august, something like that.

Bye,

Jean

Loque

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Unity Networking [ALPHA] [JULY 2016]
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:24:32 AM »
Hey Jean,

Is the demo somewhere ?

I tried to create a new project, import the ecosystem and get the two packages (PlayMakerSAN.unitypackage and PlayMakerUNet.unitypackage) and import the network lobby from the asset store.
Then copy/paste and all the folders from here : https://github.com/jeanfabre/PlayMaker--UnityLearn--Network-Game-Lobby-beta-uNet_U5_3 ito my project (maybe it's totally wrong to do it this way :s)

But when I click the play button, it looks like nothing happens :s

So maybe the demo is somewhere else (I checked the samples in the eco system but it seems there is noting related to unet in there :s)

Thanks a lot for your amazing work !

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 05:29:43 AM »
Hi,

you need to also import PlayMaker, it's likely that you have errors in the Unity console as a result, check them out, Unity won't run until the console is cleared from errors.

The sample is in that project yes, under PlayMaker Custom Samples/Unet/

Yeah, I am very hesitant to put that on the Ecosystem because uNet is very difficult to work with and capricious, as well as very expensive... Basically, I don't recommend using this unless you know Networking very well...

Bye,

Jean

Loque

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
Oh I see. It works :D I wasn't looking in the right folder =)
Thanks a lot for this example, that will definitely help a lot.

I trust you on the difficulty and capriciousness of UNet but for the price, it really depend on what kind of game your doing.
If you go for a really intensive bandwidth project yeah of course, but for a turn based game it starts at 3$ a month for 500 CCU and 50,000 MAU up to 30$ a month for 500,000 MAU and 5,000 CCU which is pretty amazing !

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:08:41 AM »
Hi,

Where did you get these numbers? This is not what I am seeing:

Bye,

Jean

kyy921

• Junior Playmaker
    • 上海杉蔓数字科技
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
when we use playmaker's old network system,
it can use network sync to sync data from server to client,

but in unet, cannot find a way like that,
in unet, it is SyncVar,
why not just use network sync to make SyncVar work?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »
Hi,

syncvar is an attribute added to a c# variables, and so it's compiled, with PlayMaker nothing is compiled, so it doesn't work the same way.

also, the networkSynch flag is not enough information to know exactly how to handle, since uNet has only synch from server to client which is not fun... hence why I introduce the legacy synch from client to server, so that you can have a two way synchronization which makes development far more easier.

Bye,

Jean