playMaker

Author Topic: Trigger2devent not responding  (Read 2150 times)

Seiryu33

Trigger2devent not responding
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
I recently upgraded to a more recent version of Unity and Playmaker (5.3 and 1.8.4 respectively, which was downloaded from the Hutong site) and i have a really weird issue with my triggers. Triggers won't respond (On trigger enter or otherwise) even when tags are applied and I'm not even getting errors so I can isolate the issue. Any ideas on what's going on? Has anyone else encounter this issue?

HeathClose

Re: Trigger2devent not responding
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »
have you tried adding a rigidbody to the object with the trigger?

Seiryu33

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
Yea I did. All it really did was add physics to it. I tried locking the restraints but still doesn't respond. Curiously colliders Don't seem to have the same issue. Having to use Rigidbodies with colliders must be a new thing. Are there tutorials that cover the new process?

HeathClose

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:45:45 PM »
you could set the rigidbody gravity to 0 or change it to static...

as far as tutorials i dunno, but my recent issues with triggers had me ditch them for some things and go with raycasts or circle casts... but in the process, adding static rigidbodies, especially for children of triggers for something that already has a trigger, seemed to work

Seiryu33

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
Yea I browsed the forum at Unity and apparently it's a known bug in Unity 5.3. It effects colliders too though not the extent that it is with Triggers.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:46:51 AM »
Hi,

Colliders and triggers have always required a rigidBody, even in Unity 4, so I doubt this is the problem here.

can you try on an empty scene with just two objects and see how things works with the bare minimum setup? if that works, then you can start comparing what is different in the faulty case.

Bye,

Jean

Seiryu33

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »
Hmm interesting never really had that problem before. Even the tutorial never mentioned using Rigidbodies for triggers. I'll have to watch it again but I Don't think it said as such. Though I was using triggers on characters before and not static objects so maybe I just never noticed it before.

HeathClose

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
to be fair... I'm new around here and new to Unity... but I only need a rigidbody on a trigger when it's the child of a trigger... never need one to make them work otherwise

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 03:24:53 AM »
Hi,

yeah, it seems 2d physics has its own rules for this. what I do when I want o make sure I meet the minimum requirement is test on an empty scene with 2 sprites or 3 depending on your hierarchy and make sure I only have the minimal setup for it to work, you don't want to over use RigidBodies if it's not needed.

Bye,

Jean