playMaker

Author Topic: Debug FSM log window blank!  (Read 2827 times)

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
Debug FSM log window blank!
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
Hi! I've been having this issue for awhile, but i've been trying to fix a bug that's been eluding me, and not being able to see ANYTHING in the fsm log window is really making it difficult!

Is there something very very simple that i'm missing? Some insight on this would be massively appreciated!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Debug FSM log window blank!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
Hi,
I just did a quick test on unity 5.6.2 and playmaker 1.8.5 and it seems to work here.

What versions are you using?

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
I've been on unity 5.6.2f1 and Playmaker 1.8.4 since i've started the project, but the FSM log problem has only started recently; i'm not sure if it's something i did to stop it from logging, but do you think it's worth trying to back up the project and updating to the latest playmaker version?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
Double check that logging is enabled in Preferences > Debugging.

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Alex, all debugging stuff seems to be on, and the unity console is logging away.

After some more testing, i think there's something related to the amount of entries in the log that eventually makes it go blank; as long as i'm working on smaller-scale fsm's, the log seems to work as intended

It would be amazing if i could override the point at which the FSM log turns blank, in the same way i can override the max loop count! That is, if indeed it's the event count that makes it blank in the first place. But for now, i've managed to debug what i needed; thanks for reading!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
Hi,
Thats probaby the reason that the fsm log goes blank.
You have an infinite loop going on (looping 1000+ times in a single frame)
If you want to loop every frame, use the 'Next Frame Event' action.

If not, can you explain what you are doing in that loop?

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:26:52 AM »
Hi Djaydino!
That particular script fsm isn't actually going past 1000, but it can definitely reach higher than 500; it's the part of a level generator responsible for spawning corridor level chunks; it iterates through every corridor chunk (sometimes 100+) and decides type and orientation in relation with the surrounding chunks.

It works just fine, but it seems like the fsm logging cuts off once the complexity passes a certain threshold; no biggie, i ended up fixing my issue, but i was just curious why this happens!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
Hi,
You can override the Default maximum loop threshold in the 'FSM tab' on the Playmaker Editor Window.
Or in the inspector window on the component.

What did you do to fix the fsm logging?

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:26:21 AM »
Djaydino: sorry for the late reply! It doesn't actually seem to be related to the maximum loop override, seeing how i don't actually ever hit the default 1000 limit

How i worked around it: I just lowered the amount of data the FSM had to process, and the logging started working again; i assume that the logging stops working well before hitting that 1000 loop limit, OR that the combined amount of loops over multiple frames (probably thousands) is too much for it to log

This seems to happen in other large FSMs that i have. I guess it's fine as long as i can lower the amount of loops!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
Hi,
I will do some testing when i get home if it happens to me also.
Can you show some pictures from the states and actions that you are looping so i can repo this on my end?

homeworld

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »
Sure, i'll share after work as well :)