playMaker

Author Topic: See FSMname in Get/Set Property actions?  (Read 1785 times)

Codybean1

• Playmaker Newbie
See FSMname in Get/Set Property actions?
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:22 AM »
I've worked with Playmaker for some time now, but one thing that's always tripped me up is when too many Get/Set Property actions for FSMs get involved and it becomes pretty confusing when an object can have many FSM components yet the Property actions refer to them all as "Playmaker FSM". I'm aware that there's workarounds and special actions specific to manipulating the FSM components, but is there a simple way to see the name of the FSMcomponent I'm working with in the Get/Set Property actions?

Something like a check in the action to see if the targeted object is an FSMcomponent, and displaying the FSMname in the State Editor if the targeted object is a match is what I'm looking for.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: See FSMname in Get/Set Property actions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:45:22 AM »
Hi,

you are targeting FsmComponent with getProperty? what's your usage? I am curious.

bye,

Jean

Codybean1

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:16 AM »
Hi,

you are targeting FsmComponent with getProperty? what's your usage? I am curious.

bye,

Jean

Mostly to enable/disable FSMs, and sometimes to check if an FSMcomponent is currently enabled, then perform and action based on that. This stuff is usually manageable but being able to distinguish between them in the action would be wonderful.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:54:49 AM »
Hi,

simply use "EnableFsm" Action, is that not working?

Get and Set Property should only ever be used if you have found no actions or custom actions to do the job.

Bye,

Jean

Codybean1

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
EnableFSM works fine, but checking if an FSM is enabled or not still needs to be done through Get Property, not to mention whatever future uses I'd or someone else would have for a slightly modified Get/Set Property action. I just want to be able to see the FSMname in Get/Set Property if the targeted object has one. ;)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:56 AM »
Hi,

ok, I see. then use the custom action "IsFsmEnabled" available on the ecosystem.

As for the suggestion, I think it's a good point nonetheless, could you file a bug report as a suggestion to improve the get/set property interface? then we'll be able to keep track of it.

Bye,

Jean

Codybean1

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
Hi,

ok, I see. then use the custom action "IsFsmEnabled" available on the ecosystem.

As for the suggestion, I think it's a good point nonetheless, could you file a bug report as a suggestion to improve the get/set property interface? then we'll be able to keep track of it.

Bye,

Jean

Sure thing. :)