playMaker

Author Topic: Tutorial for: Sharing custom actions?  (Read 3617 times)

skipadu

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Learning continuously
    • serialkamikaze.itch.io
Tutorial for: Sharing custom actions?
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:28:48 AM »
Could there be a simple tutorial which tells how to use Github for sharing the custom actions? It might lower the barrier to get more contributions when there are clear and simple instructions for doing so.
  • Forking the repository, making changes and creating pull request. *
  • Is the action needed to be tested with multiple versions of Unity or just the latest, stable release? **
  • Do we only make the new action to the newest repository? ***
  • Needed Playmaker things in the created actions. Comments, namespace, required methods to be overridden
etc..
  • Any other thing to reconsider?

I can also write this tutorial and it to have pictures, but would like to get these answers so I can write it.

* = I have tested this about a year ago and it was a great way to do without the need to get permission to actual repository. Playmaker's creators/repository "admins" can only accept pull requests that they seem to be in a correct format and fills the needed standards.
** = 2017.3.1 at the time of writing
*** = At the moment of writing latest seems to be PlayMakerCustomActions_U2017

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Tutorial for: Sharing custom actions?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:51:45 AM »
Hi,

Ideally, sharing custom actions to the Ecosystem comes at a stage in your development skills where you are confident with scripting and Github, which then makes sharing a very straight forward routine:

- Forking: I never do forking, not sure if this is the best solution, I'd rather suggest cloning the ecosystem reps ( depending on the Unity version and or compatibility) and work on the clone reps, pushing your actions this way.

- An action should alwayy be hosted on the lowest possible repository ( they are each dedicated to a Unity version U4, U5, U2017), and yes, it should be tested against all major releases ( 5,2017,2018).

- Like above, if an action works on Unity 4 or Unity 5, it should go there. For example, in the coming month, I'll deprecate the U4 as PlayMaker is now 5.3+ only, so to reach the maximum audience, an action should ideally be host in u5 if possible.

- action can be coded anyway you want, is has to work, that's all. Ideally, each public properties should have proper tooltips.

- for an action to become available to the Ecosystem, you must have some specific comments, like this:

// __ECO__ __PLAYMAKER__ __ACTION__

these keywords helps the search engine to filter out content and only list these files in the Ecosystem browser.

The best way for you to learn, is to first have an action you'd like to share, clean it up, and then get back to me on skype or via pm, so that I help you throught the steps, I'd rather do one to one on boarding, as helping out varies depending on your skills and expertize with github and coding. So don't hesitate to pm me, I'll assist you through the process until you feel confident.

Bye,

Jean

skipadu

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Learning continuously
    • serialkamikaze.itch.io
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:14:58 AM »
Thanks for answering. I will make contact when the time is right.

Btw, is there possibility already / new feature that Ecosystem supports tags?
Would help to find the actions little easier when there is already so much great ones.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:34:42 AM »
Hi,

Tags are built in, when you input your search text, it will match any of these words on files, so if you want to tag an action "skipadu", it simply has to be inside the action code text somehow, inside a commented line is the way to go, at the top preferrably.

Bye,

Jean

skipadu

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Learning continuously
    • serialkamikaze.itch.io
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 02:51:25 AM »
Tags are built in, when you input your search text, it will match any of these words on files, so if you want to tag an action "skipadu", it simply has to be inside the action code text somehow, inside a commented line is the way to go, at the top preferrably.
Okay, thanks for the information. Will keep this in mind then.