playMaker

Author Topic: PlayMaker Editor causing slow framerate  (Read 2234 times)

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
  • Multimedia Marathon Man
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
PlayMaker Editor causing slow framerate
« on: April 29, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
I have been using Unity 2017.4.0f1 with PlayMaker 1.8.3.f4 and I've had no problems until a few days ago.  If I have the PlayMaker editor open AND the scene view open at the same time and I'm clicked on a game object that has an FSM, the framerate of my game drops down to 12fps and causes all sorts of errors while I am trying to test the game.  Things that were never broken are breaking.

However, if I click out of the PlayMaker editor and close scene view, my framerate goes back to normal (60+fps) and all the errors go away.

I haven't been able to make any progress on my game because of this problem.  I've tried opening old projects from a few weeks ago and they are also experiencing the same issue.

The published game experiences none of this lag because Unity and PlayMaker are no longer involved.

I am using a super high end computer, so it's not like my PC can't handle my game.

What could be causing this?  I love PlayMaker and have been using it since it's release.  I've never seen anything like this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:41:51 PM by Shawn Kilian »

velketor

• Junior Playmaker
  • Multimedia Marathon Man
    • Shawn Kilian Portfolio
Re: PlayMaker Editor causing slow framerate
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
So I found a solution.

I went through every game object, one by one, and closed every component.  After doing this, my game's framerate improved enough to continue developing.  It seems if you have too many components and FSM's all with the drop-downs open, even if you are not using them or even looking at them, they will slow the editor down and decrease framerate as you develop your game.

So basically, if I want to mess with an FSM, I have to manually find it, open it's component drop down, then click edit.  It's a pain in the ass and has really slowed down how fast I am able to work, but it's the only thing that seems to be fixing the issue.

Something else I noticed is that I can no longer drag actions above or below each other.  Instead, I have to copy an action and paste it above or below the action I would like it to be near.  PlayMaker used to let me just drag actions in any order I see fit.  I don't know why it suddenly decided to no longer let me do this.

Anyway, hope this helps someone since nobody made any response to my original question about this issue.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
Hi, so this is not limited to playmaker. It is related to the unity editor and how many calls it needs to make. Similar problems can been seen with other editor solutions such as behavior designer. Currently the only solution is to not have too many editor dropdowns open on components at once.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:16:49 AM »
Hi,

on complex projects, I alwasy have a specific Unity layout with just the gameView, nothing else, then editor can run as free as possible from editors stuff, and you get the closest possible fps to when it's published.

I also have a unity layout with just the gameview and the profiler, also giving me the best possible results while in editor.

Bye,

Jean