playMaker

Author Topic: Improved prefabs  (Read 3303 times)

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
Improved prefabs
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
Hi.

As some of you may already know, Unity has finally release a massive improvement on the prefab workflow, allowing us to have prefabs within prefabs. This is available on the beta "2018.2b improved prefab".

I tried it these last few days and found an issue with Playmaker. With the new system we have a prefab mode, it's like having a new scene for prefab edition. Though playmaker will still allow editing of the FSMs from the project folder, before entering prefab mode: these modification won't work and the editor should be locked outside of prefab mode.

Thanks.

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
Re: Improved prefabs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
Oye! :) from looking the prefab system it looks like this is universal thing right? So not just Playmaker FSM... that's going to take a few weeks to get rid of the muscle memory of just wanting to click on the prefab haha  :o

Thanks again for looking into this! :D

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:56 AM »
It's a bit deeper than just muscle memory because you can make changes, have them work and then erase them without knowing it.

I checked and you can edit from selecting the prefab in the project folder, it will work. Until you make changes in prefab mode where you previous modifications don't exist. Then, prefab mode will override the FSM with these values and you will lose some of your work.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »
Hi.
If you guys are not already PlayMaker beta users maybe you should join :)

I don't know if Alex is already working on this, but if so it will 1st go in beta :)

You can Pm Alex or Jean to get access to PlayMaker Beta.

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 05:25:13 PM »
Wait, i don't quite get this one, are you saying we should only edit the instance and then save it as a prefab or it won't work? Or the FSM's can be edited in project view without entering prefab mode but the changes won't be saved?
Available for Playmaker work

imtrobin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »
I'm still on 5.6.5, I'm see a problem with prefab and callmethod. the callmethod keeps breaking whenever I edit. Is this a known issue with prefab?

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
Just use Invoke Method, it works. For static methods use Call Static method,

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
I'm still on 5.6.5, I'm see a problem with prefab and callmethod. the callmethod keeps breaking whenever I edit. Is this a known issue with prefab?

I'm not aware of an issue with prefabs and CallMethod in other versions of Unity. Check that you have the latest version of Playmaker. If you're having this issue with the latest version please start a new thread (since it's not related to the new unity prefab workflow) and we'll figure out what's going on... thanks!

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
Hi guys,

just a small reminder that Unity 2018.3 is nearing the end of beta testing (it's at beta 7 as of now), so it would be cool if we get support in a decent timeframe when it comes out, since it's quite slow now. It works, but it's slow :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »
Hi,

The current PlayMaker Beta is addressing the new workflow yes, in terms of speed, I don't know how it will affect things though.

Bye,

Jean