playMaker

Author Topic: A* pathfinding (stable 0v841)  (Read 226084 times)

nighty9

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: A* pathfinding (stable 0v841)
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2014, 05:50:57 AM »
Does someone has an updated version of the Actions that is working with new unity versions ? Unity 5, 4.6 etc, would be greatly appreciated :)

mweyna

« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
As far as I know, this is still a non functional package with the new unity until the author updates it.

TheWarRoom

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »
Oh my someone please help me. I added this to my project not realizing it is outdated! I need help removing as my project is broken with it !!

TheWarRoom

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
I Figured it out :)  Sorry for the false alarm.

laik2002

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »
I m using a mac .I can't finish to installation.Plz help~,thx

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
I m using a mac .I can't finish to installation.Plz help~,thx

The A* Pathfinding Project has a fairly volatile API from what I can tell, it seems that the package isn't maintained any longer and doesn't work with the latest versions of the asset.

Perhaps contact the author of the actions and see if he is able to update them? I took a glance at them, but its a pretty robust set of actions and would take a long time to get into and update.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

laik2002

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #351 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:47 AM »
Oo~it s a really bad news....
thx for sugguestion.

kiriri

« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
Color me surprised! How did this thread stay alive for so long?! I had disabled all updates on this post when I started studying what I found an incredibly hard uni course (Molecular Biotechnology). Then I realized a year later that I just can't go without programming, so I switched to CS, which means I have quite some spare time on my hand. Without PaulH's PM this would never have come to my attention again.

I will update this project again to work with Unity 4.6 and 5 as requested. I'll also clean up the code base as it's quite horrendous (this was my first Unity plugin and my first experience with js/c# for that matter). I won't add functionality though, I might even remove WIP parts that don't make much sense on their own.

My last exam for this semester will be mid next month. Afterwards I will tackle this project.
Do answer me one thing though : Why are you guys still interested in this plugin? Doesn't Unity's own pathfinding work just as well in most situations? I have never used it but looks powerful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:49:26 PM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

Sly

« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
Wow that's a good news pal!

Your pathfinding system is just very simple to understand, easy to plugg, and it's easy to modify! And for sure, it was (and so it will be) compatible with playmaker!
:)

Thanks for the update!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Cool news kiriri! Hope things are going well for you =)

I think most people are interested in this because NavMesh in Unity is a Pro only feature while Aaron's project is the most recommended alternative.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

mweyna

« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
Yah! I've been holding on to a barely functional version for months now. Compared to Unity Pathfinding, I found that A* worked more efficiently for me, given my constantly changing at run-time world environment. I look forward to the working update!

Rbanninga

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #356 on: February 16, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Speed and realtime updates that outdo the pro version from Unity itself. This one is just a million times better and we would love to have it supported again with playmaker! Some official addon coop with the devs would be extra amazing... hint hint Jean!? :)

Cheers and good luck with your exams!

kiriri

« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
Ok, on second glance, my code seems even worse than I had previously thought. Here's a barebone-version containing a move-to action (which is like half the code of this entire project :D ) which features everything but the auto option which I think stopped working in v0.2 or so anyway :D UpdateGraph, UpdateGraphArea, GetNearestNodeWalkability, IsPathPossible, WillPathBePossible should also work again. The rest is not included for now. I want to focus on each script, comment each section , refactor it for the sake of readability and generally make it faster and better first. Also, I'm only working on v4.6 free for now, pro will come right after, then I'll make it work on v5 which should be released publicly anytime soon.

If you're upgrading your project please make sure to backup. I've made some structural changes so you'll have to remove all FSM actions before loading the new ones into your assetfolder. You will also need to install the newest A* package.
If you have a project and require certain other actions before you can upgrade please post them here and I'll prioritize them.

EDIT : Also, please tell me the graph types you're using. I'm using GridGraphs all the time and especially navmeshgraphs and quadgraphs may cause issues since they now save their nodes in a different format (no more arrays for them)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:12:45 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

mweyna

« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »
Just wanted to confirm the following actions worked before updating:

Create Path To
Scan Graphs
Update Graph Area
Scan Graph

kiriri