playMaker

Author Topic: Component Caching  (Read 4494 times)

ratamorph

• Playmaker Newbie
Component Caching
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
In the FAQ says Playmaker caches components, however I was inspecting the code for the actions that come with Playmaker and none of them cache their components.

Is there a special section or package for iOS? doing go.transform every frame is terrible for performance on mobile devices.

I guess I could modify all the actions but then when an update rolls I'd have a hard time merging changes and such.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Component Caching
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
Hi,

Maybe you could simply make new versions and submit them to the "share custom actions" board. Append to the action some version like v2 or _mob or something, that's what I do when I want to optimize some standard actions and survive updates.

ideally, someday, we will have versionning and online repositories or custom actions where these cases will be just a brease to deal with.

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »
Playmaker actions tend to cache the components that Unity doesn't provide properties for. I keep hearing that property calls like transform are already cached by Unity, but I haven't had a chance to run tests to profile this...

I know some of this caching was added in newer versions.

Have you run tests to check that caching transform improves performance in current versions of Unity? If it does, we'll definitely do a pass on all actions to cache these properties...

Lars Steenhoff

• Beta Group
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
Yea this interesting, hope someone has the time to check if performance can be improved a bit, anything helps for mobile :)