playMaker

Author Topic: Photon; How?  (Read 2918 times)

cb

• Junior Playmaker
Photon; How?
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:49:30 AM »
I don't get it. I've downloaded the latest Photon plug from the asset store, the latest PM beta_2 and have the latest PM...the screenshot in the tutorial (the Photon setup screen for example) doesn't look like the one I have on screen. Should I have a Playmaker/Photon setup menu item?  I send my appid (or rather save it) and nothing happens. How do I get the green indicator that Photon is set up correctly? Anyone have a clear step-through for this procedure? Baffled :-[

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Photon; How?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:48 AM »
Hi,

;D  it's because the help reflects already the next release of photon for playmaker :) We've worked on making the process indeed a lot clearer. Right now, you simply open the photon window as normal and how it's instructed by Photon. Expect a release very soon hopefully.

Is the demo running fine once you have set up photon? or do you get errors? you will get a warning from photon that you are not properly setup in all cases anyway.

bye,

Jean

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
Ok, I'm jumping the gun a little on the docs  ::)
Tried again and I have the demo scene running, connecting and giving the 'join room' menu. What's the procedure for adapting a game to Photon, as my game is 90% complete. Can I start adding Photon components and make it a network game as I finish it?
I'd like to have the game networked over the net through browser play but I also plan an iPad version, would the Photon components work the same for an iPad game as a browser based one ?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
Hi,

Yes, Photon is cross platform.

You can adapt your game to work with Photon, but the most difficult part will be refactoring the feature to take in account the fact that a feature behave differently depending if it "owns" the GameObject or not. So I strongly suggest you really study the demo provided and until you haven't fully understand the implications behind implementing a character controller using Photon, don't start editing your game right away, I think you could loose some time and get frustrated especially if your game is almost done.

Don't hesitate to ask for clarifications and more in depth description of what is required and the design patterns.

bye,

Jean

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »
Thanks Jean,
I'll start with a simple one. I see the 'set message queue running' is set to ON in the FSM within the un-named folder (the one containing the lights, Camera, GUI etc). After turning the queue on this then runs an empty Global Event Start. Is this empty State just to keep the FSM running and therefore able to be de-activated?

Another quick Q: The player prefab also has message in red saying "GameObject requires a NewtworkView component. Click to fix"..I'm guessing this can be ignored ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:34:00 AM by cb »

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:02 AM »
Still getting the red error above, but doesn't seem to affect anything. Also, what is the quickest way to disable an object from Photon? Say I have a robot built from parented cubes. His head falls off and is no longer needed in the game, so I no longer want to synch this head cube and want to free up the stream of data it uses. Is there a simple way to disable Photon on an object so it is no longer in the networked game?