playMaker

Author Topic: Global Variables, error?  (Read 2398 times)

Justin

• Junior Playmaker
Global Variables, error?
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »
Im noticing an error appearing in a lot of my prefabs that reference global variables.  They all the say the same thing, "prefabs should not reference scene objects only other prefabs and project resources. References to scene objects will be lost on save/load!"  Just to be clear my prefabs are referencing global variables not scene objects, I am confused by this error, does anyone know if this is a bug with unity4 or perhaps something I am doing wrong?

Alio

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Global Variables, error?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
I've noticed a lot of warnings and errors that pop up in unity where they do not interfere with your game process. I think they are just trying to warn you of future problems you can occur if you try to reference back to those items.  For example in that scene everythign works fine, but if you flip to another scene in your game where one of those items is not present it will still try to access that link between the objects even though its not there.  That action will not play through and error out if you have, game pause on error, then that will stop it.

I get that issue too where i load up unity and my project and look at playmaker fsm and i suddenly see a bunch of errors i run the scene once and they disappear. I think since its attached to prefabs they have to do a check to run and see if all those gameobjects in scene that have fsm attached to them are existant at that moment.  if not you will get error warning "FSM does not exist but you are still trying to access it." or something along those lines.  I've checked through to make sure that none of my fsm's were calling for anything nto in the scene and still got that error until i completely removed all my fsm scripts from the scene and then reapplied them.  Not sure how this came about and no real solution as to how to fix it but hopefully an dev/admin replies with a solution to make those annoying errors go away.
I just frankenstein it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:16:17 AM »
Hi,

have you reported this using the playmaker bug report?

bye,

Jean

Justin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
I've been too busy lately to do any work on my projects with unity/playmaker or to check in on these forums but thank you for the reply, the information you provided is reassuring.  Im not too overly concerned with these error messages now. I was trying to troubleshoot a different issue with performance hiccups recurring in my game and thought that these errors might be part responsible for it but I guess not.  Thanks Jean.