playMaker

Author Topic: The BEST 3D drawing package for Unity  (Read 12822 times)

FritsLyn

The BEST 3D drawing package for Unity
« on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:08 AM »
I am aware that this is slight off topic, but yet again: If you use PlayMaker, you are likely to focus on getting results fast - and this is really my best tip:

Cheetah 3D

Tadaa! I have been through all major 3D packages (yes, I was on Piratebay), gave them all heavy spins, was still frustrated, and then, a tiny post somewhere that someone was very happy for this program.

MAN!!

Unity imports files NATIVELY - this means that you just make your little character, and save. Then you can drag that little character into your Scene - it comes with all the animations, colors, phong shading settings - bang.

It works so well, that you can PLAY your game, Alt-Tab to Cheetah 3D (while the game is running), modify your character in any way you want (even texture painting right on the 3D model, animations etc - anything), press save, Alt-Tab, and Voila - Unity is now still playing your game, and your character is changed inside the running game!!

All keys and mouse can very, very easy be set up to match Unity, so it feels like working with the same program.

It does not have (almost) any functionality that does not go straight into Unity (there are some transparent shaders and stuff like that) - and so you do not have to worry about a thing - just draw, save, bang!

Just opened Unity, and want to change that mesh? Double click in the project view, it opens in a big nice Cheetah 3D window, edit, save, bang!

So sweet, I cannot believe anybody would even consider using anything else!

IK, inverse, heatmap, all is there!

I have used it for 2 days now, and I am all high on it.

It's extremely fair priced, USD 69 at this moment - and I'd recommend also purchasing the video tutorials, also fair priced.

If you are a PC user, I have just wasted your time, sorry - Mac only.

www.cheetah3d.com
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectCheetah3D.html

IDontKnow

• Junior Playmaker
Re: The BEST 3D drawing package for Unity
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
Always nice to have cheap alternatives.  :)

I've never heard of Cheetah 3D before.

Blender also imports natively into Unity. I believe that Max and Maya do too.
--

Red

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
whoa, that "editing while game is running" feature you mentioned sounds exceptionally tasty... and the price is just right...

... now, all I need is a Mac  ;D(i have the intention when I am financially able to but for now i'll have to bookmark the page instead.)

EDIT: just as an aside, I would think a thread like this could fit better in the "General discussion" subforum for now... mainly because it's not related directly to Playmaker but also because it could turn into a great thread where we all discuss what 3d packages we use and why we like them over others. (no, i'm not a mod... i'm just making a friendly suggestion for next time! :D)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:32:46 PM by Red »

BigDaz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
Anyone know if there are plans for a PC version?

I use Softimage which is fantastic but Autodesk are neglecting it and the price is extortionate. So I'm reluctant to recommend it  :-\

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
Softimage all the way! :D

I just hope a miracle will strike and Autodesk will release a Softimage LT version!

dreamlarp

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »
 "I was on Piratebay"

Dude thats a pirated software site that some of my good friends programs were posted on so they lost a lot of money. Sites like that make families loose needed income.
Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
http://spacedwarves.blogspot.com/

Red

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
"I was on Piratebay"

Dude thats a pirated software site that some of my good friends programs were posted on so they lost a lot of money. Sites like that make families loose needed income.

Yeah, pirating software is definitely one of those "not-cool" things.

For starters, that's not something you want to talk about doing openly especially on company forums (as it is technically illegal) but mostly because piracy hurts us little fish more than it hurts the big fish. If you like a game or a software package, try your best to support the creators of it by buying it legit. If you cannot afford it, there are many alternatives that aren't risking the not-cool factor.

Blender is a great option as it's open source (aka, totally free) for a general, all-around 3D Modeling/animating package. It does have a bit of a learning curve to it but it's actually not that much steeper than most other packages like Max and Maya. And, last I checked there are a good deal of resources that are available for "if you're coming from 3DS Max/Maya/Cheetah/etc." Personally, I use Max but that's because I was kinda shoe-horned into purchasing it (I used the learning edition I bought in college to do some of the assets for my game so I was obligated into purchasing a commercial license... That and I do know how their legal team operates since I've known a couple people that worked in the "belly of the beast." Needless to say, it's worth getting if you're hoping to actually make money off of the games you create... if you aren't planning on selling at all it's best you keep your nose clean here so as to avoid risking unfortunate situations.)

And if you're a fan of the Z-brush style of detailing packages maybe look into Sculptris (Pixelogic purchased them a while back but last I checked they're allowing Sculptris to continue to be a free package (even free to use for commercial purposes.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:33:48 PM by Red »

Robert Foster

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
 all so blender  www.blender.org  if you like draw here program  curvy 3d http://curvy3d.com/ it let you draw in 3d  front & leftside
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:12:52 PM by lorddarkness »

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
You guys want Autodesk programs?
Create a Autodesk Student Account.
Cheers
Seb

cwmanley

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Pixologic's products are very useful, but you still need a full 3d package for animations.

http://pixologic.com/

Cheetah3d looks great for the price...I had no clue.

Cheers

bkups2003

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »
I use blender. It's free and i find it amazing. If you are going to release something into the public, probably best you make sure you're not going to end up having legal problems later.

redikann

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVPEzT0KQgElb-7udy3HhZg
This is how I have my Blender set up. Works a lot like Pro Tools.