playMaker

Author Topic: Best way to pause the scene?  (Read 12447 times)

JennaReanne

• Junior Playmaker
    • Little Worlds Interactive
Best way to pause the scene?
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
Hello all,
I'm looking for a good way to have a pause menu in my game.  It seems like simply setting the timescale to 0 isn't good because that doesn't stop logic from running.

So far I'm seeing two options in the Unity asset store:

Group Pausing Kit: Pause Controller
http://u3d.as/content/eleck-tek/group-pausing-kit-pause-controller/2VV
This claims to have Playmaker support so I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to work.  It looks like the developer is no longer actively supporting this so I think I'm out of luck.

Time Control and Pause Kit
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9603
The developer has been saying for quite a while that the next update would have Playmaker support, but there's no real indication of when the next update will be.

So.. neither of those options are really great.  Has anyone had success implementing a pause menu?  How did you do it?

Thanks,
Jenna

MrMitch

• Rage Quit Games - Coming Soon
Re: Best way to pause the scene?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
I also got my hands on Group Pausing Kit to find out it was no longer supported.

With the game i'm currently working on i've been using time scale and purposely building it to be effected by time scale but that might get tricky depending on the size and complexity of your game because not all actions are effected by time scale.

So my suggestion would be work with time scale if you don't know how to program that type of thing or don't want to pay someone else to do it.

Hopefully someone will give a better suggestion, as i'd like a better work a round  ;D

Mayhem

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
Hello all,
I'm looking for a good way to have a pause menu in my game.  It seems like simply setting the timescale to 0 isn't good because that doesn't stop logic from running.

So far I'm seeing two options in the Unity asset store:

Group Pausing Kit: Pause Controller
http://u3d.as/content/eleck-tek/group-pausing-kit-pause-controller/2VV
This claims to have Playmaker support so I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to work.  It looks like the developer is no longer actively supporting this so I think I'm out of luck.

Time Control and Pause Kit
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9603
The developer has been saying for quite a while that the next update would have Playmaker support, but there's no real indication of when the next update will be.

So.. neither of those options are really great.  Has anyone had success implementing a pause menu?  How did you do it?

Thanks,
Jenna

Well I only can speak for the Time Control and Pause Kit. Actually you don't need PlayMaker Support. "Call Method"-Action or "Invoke Method"-Action will do the job. Worked for me so far.
The problem is, that is doesn't work with other plugins like HOTween, ITween, 2DToolkit (Animations) and so on which makes it for me...unusable.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 05:38:02 AM »
Hi,

if your tweening are not "real time", pausing will work on tweens too ( setting the time to 0).

Bye,

Jean

alexlange

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi,

if your tweening are not "real time", pausing will work on tweens too ( setting the time to 0).

Bye,

Jean

Thanks! It works for me :)

szomaza

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
Is anybody using the "Time Control and Pause Kit" since they added Playmaker support?
Is it good, does it work? Is there documentation how to use it in the package?

I am running into problems with TimeScale and looking for a good solution.

Is there a reason why it's not listed in the 3rd party tools?
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W714

(Also the "Group Pausing Kit" that has not been updated since 2012 is there, but should be removed.)

Thanks,
szomaza

szomaza

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
Please, anybody?  Using the "Time Control and Pause Kit" ?

thanks,
szomaza

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
Hi,

We can't really remove this entry as it may very well perform just fine, even if not supported and closed source. It's up to the developer to decide to take the risk or not, given the comments and reviews.

I don't have any experience with that package, so I won't be able to tell you if that actually works of not.

Typically, if you have a problem with time, you should be able to solved it with PlayMaker, can you explain a bit more what you are after?

bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
I use Group Pausing Kit.

I wouldn't appreciate the Actions being removed, incase I ever need to re-download them.

szomaza

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:04 AM »
Hi,

What I am after is simply to stop the game: counters, AI, events, etc. while the pause menu or similar overlaid screen (tutorial image for example) elements keep running.
These menus might have animations, effects, FSMs ... that need to run, while the game is paused.

So I can't use timescale=0 as that prevents EVERYTHING from running, no?

thanks,
szomaza

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »
Hi,

nop. Systems like NGUI and some actions in PlayMaker have their own timer and so you can stop the time in Unity yet have animated UI and time based actions still. Typically, it's perfect for freezing physics and expose a menu.

bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
i made a timer with the "Get Time Info action"

and tested "Real Time In Current State" and "Time In Current State"

but both did not stop when i used "Scale Time" (set to 0)

But my "Counter" keeps running when i "Pause"

is there a way to stop this?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:00 AM »
Hi,

you have to manually listen to your pause call and pause the timer in your fsm directly.

Bye,

Jean