playMaker

Author Topic: More Versatile Actions  (Read 4412 times)

joeyjr

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
More Versatile Actions
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
I would prefer all actions to have the option of being applied multiple times rather then having to add the same action with the same name multiple times to a particular state.  For example: the "Audio Play" action could have an option for the user to input how many audio clips they would like to be played back and then just drag and drop all the clips they want played back into the empty slots in the state window. This way you have one action that consolidates all audio playback for your state and it can be expanded or collapsed at anytime to help with organization.

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: More Versatile Actions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »
I am doing these types of things on my own actually.. if i need one to have multiple inputs then i just customize the code. Same if i need it to write to a global variable.. i change that too.. I made a feature request that they all be adjusted to allow for global variables.

I dont know if there is some reason for not doing this or if it just has not been done yet.. I dont know if the extra code creates extra overhead when people are not using it maybe.

I am currently writing an Action that will let me do a Bool test on multiple Bools of any mix of True and False.. Just my situation but it will replace all the other Bool Actions for me. And i really like writing Actions. I would rather do that then my work actually.. for now...

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: More Versatile Actions
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »
Hi,

I do that too, modifying existing action to suit my needs where appropriate, if I feel this is generic enough, then I post it on the forum. It's easy to see the trend and the needs, and future version of the standard set definitely benefit from such feedback.

I think the problem is that for standard actions to be useful and straight forward, Some kind of compromise needs to be done, else it will become too difficult to dive in Playmaker for newbies or else the number of action will grow up to a stupid amount of actions. Alex talekd about modifying the api to accomodate some known issues in actions scripts, so hopefully, this will definitely improve.

Bye,

Jean