playMaker

Author Topic: Search for state/action/text in FSMs in a scene/multiple scenes  (Read 1879 times)

floky

• Playmaker Newbie
Is there a way to search for a Playmaker state name/action/any text inside a selected FSM? Or even better a serach through all the FSMs in a scene?

That would really speed up working with Playmaker especially in scenes that have a lot FSMs. If you have a few new members on the team and one of the new guys is looking for example for a state called something with "CheckCollision" in the name or only "collision". Show him a list of all the FSMs that have these actions and let him go directly to one of them.

If there's no way to do this in the current version, are there any plans for a feature like this in the near future? I think many people would agree this would be pretty useful.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:53:45 PM by floky »

moondust.games

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Search for state/action/text in FSMs in a scene/multiple scenes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
I know I'm replying to this post from last year but it's exactly the question I wanted to ask today.

When I'm building levels I copy an empty scene or the previous scene and there are lots of edits to make to FSMs. I title states "edit here" to help me find them.

If there was a tool to search through all FSMs in a scene and list results where a search term is found in fsm name, state name etc this would be so helpful.

A response on the possibility of this would be great. Thanks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
Hi,

I am working on this. It's a long haul, but basically, it's important to bring such introspection feature.

It will work by scanning your project and create an xml representation of all PlayMaker related properties, so that then it's possible to start making xpath searches, which are very powerful. So indeed, we'll be able to find fsm by name in scenes that are not even opened, or find a state on an fsm in any scene or prefab that has a given action with a given property value. All this will become possible, and more importantly opened to contribution for creating search tools or even adding your on bits of information if you find the core suitable for your own project needs, like documentation, or data driven content generator.

Bye,

Jean

moondust.games

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:42:47 PM »
Great news! Thanks for your continual hard work Jean!

Philip