playMaker

Author Topic: Please help! Can't get Playmaker to start [SOLVED]  (Read 11618 times)

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
Please help! Can't get Playmaker to start [SOLVED]
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Hello. I was quite excited when I purchased Playmaker because as a beginner Unity user my inability to code  is a huge hinderance. Anyway, the point of this thread is that after i purchased Playmaker that excitement quickly turned to dissapointment and buyer's remorse as the plug in is simply refusing to appear in the user interface as it should do.

Here is some images to help explain the process of my frustration:-

After opening a Unity project, Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package as
per instructed  by the acknowledge email....

It is less than obvious to me which file i am supposed to select since that isn't explained in the email but nonetheless It seems reasonable to open this one...

Lo and behold, rather than appearing in its own window in the Unity interface,
instead Playmaker appears as an 'asset' in the Project window where it is useless.

This is the error message that appears in the console after attempting to load-

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PlayMakerEditorResources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'PlayMakerEditorResources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:SetLoadedEditorAssemblies(Assembly[])

Really not happy with this, please help someone!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:17:13 PM by thomas81 »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Please help! Can't get Playmaker to start
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »
try installing it directly from the asset store :

click window / asset store (or ctrl9)

login if not logged in,

search for playmaker.

click on import , import all

and that should work

edit : i just noticed on the picture that your folder is now PlayMaker/PlayMaker

try dragging the folder on the right side to the center (root)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:30:32 PM by djaydino »

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
can i download it from the asset store even if i purchased it from the hutong games website store (which i did)?

If i can't, what then?  Tough s**t to me?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:33:59 PM by thomas81 »

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
regarding your edit, it doesnt allow me to drag the folder anywhere,  the cursor just becomes a crossed out circle.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
Import the Playmaker unitypackage that you downloaded from the store. If you lost your download link email info at hutonggames and we can resend it.

The Versions folder contains dlls for different platforms. PlaymakerDefault.unitypackage just restores the default dlls (it doesn't install the rest of the playmaker files in the main package).

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »
Import the Playmaker unitypackage that you downloaded from the store. If you lost your download link email info at hutonggames and we can resend it.

The Versions folder contains dlls for different platforms. PlaymakerDefault.unitypackage just restores the default dlls (it doesn't install the rest of the playmaker files in the main package).

I still have the email with the link that Hutong games sent me, i literally just purchased the software so thats not the issue. The issue is that the software keeps appearing as an asset rather than a plug in with its own window in the unity interface.

This is the result when i try to open Playmaker in Unity, directly using the link that Hutong games sent me. As you can see, there is still no playmaker window appearing. Unless i've been sent a link to a corrupted file.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:00:59 AM by thomas81 »

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
Oh, and i also tried opening all three of the Playmaker package files. The other two didn't work either.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
By "the other two" I assume you mean the Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry packages. Those should only be imported after the main Playmaker unitypackage if you want to develop for those platforms. You may have errors if you imported those into a Standalone project that doesn't target those platforms.

Please start over and import: Playmaker1.7.7.2.unitypackage
You should then have a PlayMaker entry in the main menu.
Click the main menu bar if it hasn't refreshed.

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:57:37 AM »
Regarding the other two files, i don't know what platform they are for but the point is neither here nor there; NONE of them work.
Yes, i have tried using them on seperate projects irrespectively of each other so its not a case of one of them causing interference.

As for trying to import the Playmaker package as per suggested, i have tried this same process several times and am getting exactly the same results.  Every time there is an error message appearing, so its definitely something to do with that.

can you elaborate what you mean by 'main menu' please? I don't see a 'main menu' under the unity interface. Just the 5 usual windows and a error message in red under console because of the faulty Playmaker import.

I assure you this isn't me being stupid, i generally don't have this pervasive a problem with software of this kind.

It would probably be of help if there was some kind of installation tutorial video on the playmaker youtube channel.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:42:25 AM by thomas81 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »
Hi Thomas,

I cought up with this thread.

Let's setup a skype meeting and with screen sharing, I'll get you through this, simply pm me with your skype and we'll connect.

Else, we can use teamviewer or something, else, as long as we can talk and share your screen.

-- Playmaker1.7.7.2.unitypackage should be the one that work.
-- Have you tried on a fresh project?

Bye,

Jean

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
thanks for your reply jean. I will send you my skype id through pm so we can connect, but it will have to be later on because i must retire now.

Many thanks.

Yes, i have tried setting it up through a fresh project, i have tried pretty much every possible combination to get it working.

This is the full error message that is appearing- Maybe it makes more sense to you than it does to me-

Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\thomasandgrace\Documents\New Unity Project\Temp\Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll.mdb" is denied.

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess)

at Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolWriter.WriteSymbolFile (Guid guid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.SymbolWriter+SymbolWriterImpl.WriteSymbolFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.SymbolWriter.WriteSymbolFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.CodeGen.Save (System.String name, Boolean saveDebugInfo, Mono.CSharp.Report Report) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 02:01:19 AM »
Hi,

you seem to be facing some windows security issues, I guess you may have an anti virus that's more annoying than helping you in this case :) . I googled for your issue and found this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/temp-assembly-csharp-editor-firstpass-dll-mdb-is-denied.222997/

so follow some of the solutions, I am pretty sure it will work then.

Bye,

Jean

thomas81

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
i have tried importing playmaker with my anti virus scanning turned off. I'm not getting the error message now, however the Playmaker window is still failing to appear in the Unity interface.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Hi,

it doesn't appear automatically, you have now a PlayMaker menu, you can launch the editor from there. If it's not, simply click, it will appear abruptly, there is a known glitch in Unity menus when new items are imported.

Bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
Anytime you import something it has to recompile, if it fails to compile then you get errors and won't see any new menus. That's normal. If there are no more errors then you should see a Playmaker tab on the file menu, where you can find the Playmaker Editor button which brings up the dockable Editor.

In all cases of plugins like this they either have a custom inspector on a GameObject or a dockable window which you must invoke manually. Can you check to see if you see a dropdown menu called Playmaker at the top? There is a glitch like Jean says, so click around and worst case scenario restart Unity and you should see it.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D